Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a large comfy cruiser to use for a few runs to France. I had a pug 407 diesel last year which was great for the job, however would like to stick with Alfa if possible.

I've seen a nice 2.5 v6 166 for sale which would be ideal, however I wonder if 30 to the gallon in motorway cruise mode was over optimistic for these cars?

My GTA can manage it

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a large comfy cruiser to use for a few runs to France. I had a pug 407 diesel last year which was great for the job, however would like to stick with Alfa if possible.

I've seen a nice 2.5 v6 166 for sale which would be ideal, however I wonder if 30 to the gallon in motorway cruise mode was over optimistic for these cars?

My GTA can manage it
The best I got from a 3.0 V6 Sportronic was 30mpg, but booting it would see about 25-27mpg. I imagine a manual 2.5 should top 30 at cruising speed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Don't see why not. Ask for a test drive, put it on a motorway and the ICU will tell you how the petrol consumption is doing. You should get more than 30 mpg on a steady motorway cruise.

·
Registered
129 Posts
30MPG! You'll be lucky..

Don't see why not. Ask for a test drive, put it on a motorway and the ICU will tell you how the petrol consumption is doing. You should get more than 30 mpg on a steady motorway cruise.
On my 3.0 manual the ICS underestimates the fuel consumption. My drive isn't ideal and I'm prone to using most of the 200HP to get past dawdlers but the ICS says I average 24MPG, but brim to brim it's 22.

On a long and very sedate drive to Wiltshire I just got the ICS to 30MPG, but again on the pump it was 29.

Now maybe I have a leak, or the odometer is slow, or some other fuel problem, but it doesn't seem unreasonable. I get 27 out of my 2.5 E36 on the same commute, 22 out of a (knac**ered) 328 Auto E36

You could just go LPG - I would but I only do 3k a year, so it would take too long to recoup. There's an LPG kit from a 2.5 on ebay at the mo.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
On a moderate motorway type trip I routinely get around 30 or so but if it take it steady, I've seen 35 on occasion. 3.0 sporto by the way. On the very short daily commute it gives low 20s

·
Registered
913 Posts
The best I achived with my 166 3.2 was on a trip to skiing, just little above 30mgp. It was a mix between motorway and some A or B roads. I am using CF2 exhaust manifolds, which might lower consumption a little bit. With more careful driving it could be even lower...

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. Seems like I will be buying one then!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I average high twenties (27mpg) on European trips...mostly motorway, but also town and Alpine driving thrown in. (3.0 manual)

The 2.5 in a 156 was, if anything thirstier than the 3.0 in a 166...that is my experience.

Real world I would expect 25mpg from a 2.5. If you poodle down at steady speeds around 75mph then 30mpg. Any town driving, up and down Alps and enjoying the engine will drop it to nearer mid-twenties.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want a big comfy cruiser. And sticking the GTA on a motorway for 000's of miles at a touch over 70 seems such a waste.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I never got more than 22 mpg per tank. Ever.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
945 Posts
Driving her easy on the motorway the trip will say 35mpg. Day to day 27 or so. Spirited drives take that down to 22 or so. My previous 166 was pretty much the same (both 2.5)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Used to easily get 31mpg on trips in my 166 3.0V6 Sportronic - but it was very hard to get over 33 - 33.5 on a three-hour trip was my personal best.

More or less the same fuel consumption as my 147GTA and probably my Gtv as well, if I bothered to measure it - I try not to care any more :lol:

-Alex

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I want a big comfy cruiser. And sticking the GTA on a motorway for 000's of miles at a touch over 70 seems such a waste.
If you can find a nice 166 you won't regret it...totally different drive than a GTA...but yes if I had the choice I'd take the 166 on a tour...no question. Comfy and quiet. If you can get one with the becker dsp sound system...such a great sound ...better by far than the Bose systems in the 156.

Even so a GTA would be fun over the Alps no doubt!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Getting 30 isn't over optimistic, but from the hundreds of replies I've seen to this question on AO over the years, and my own experience with my 3.0 Super, it can be quite challenging to hit that number. I think the car really needs to be in tip-top condition, with good tyres correctly inflated, perfect geometry and umpteen other variables if you want to see 30 and above.

Mine was in pretty good condition, well serviced and good tyres, and the only time I ever got 30 was doing 600-700 miles from Edinburgh to Devon and back, driving like a nun, slip-streaming lorries, and cruising at 60mph a lot of the time. And it was a real bloody struggle to get it up to 30.

But what people often overlook is how much impact the slightest incline, general road surface quality, and wind speed and direction can affect things. If you do the same motorway commute every day and see 30mpg average over 12 months, you might see a better or worse result if you then moved to another part of the country and had a different route.

So all I'm saying is, buy a 166 V6 and if you are lucky you'll see 30-33ish but don;t be at all surprised if you struggle to get 30.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Personally I'm always surprised by the claims of any where near 30mpg for the 3.0 V6 Super. Not to say in certain hands this is not achievable. I drove the three I had enthusiastically for over 80k miles in a mix of long runs on motorways, 85-90 typically, and shorter journeys, however in all cases I was well short of 30, the CF 3 was the most economical at 25 but both the CF2s averaged exactly 23.8 which I think is what is reported in all the Government Official Consumption tests.

I have to say there was not one mile of the 80k when I gave a hoot for the mpg..!!

Now I'm retired mpg is of slightly more concern and a 156 1.9 JTDm, driven in the same enthusiastic style returns 44 mpg, also pretty much on target with Government Official Consumption Tests.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have to say there was not one mile of the 80k when I gave a hoot for the mpg..!!
Ha ha! Yes. Right, Today I'm going to drive sensibly to see how little fuel I can use.

Whoosh, D'oh...

Ok, diet starts tomorrow..

I think it was very short-sighted of Alfa to Skip the Diesel 166 for the UK- With hindsight offering the two V6 engines and the 2.4JTD to the UK would have been better - although maybe for all the other RHD markets the TS and two V6s made more sense..

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had 42.7 mpg in my twinnie this week over a 50 mile M4 commute. That was very hard work though. 60 to 65 all the way, lots of lift and coast ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Coming back down from Nairn yesterday I got 30 mpg. A9 has average speed cameras and the rest was motorway so not difficult. However this isn't the norm and some town driving and putting the foot down - especially in second :) - makes the mpgs plummet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts