Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like a pint. If I go in a pub and they have a beer I've never tried before I'll usually give it a go. If I go in a pub that has several to try, then if time allows, I'll give them all a go.

However, I don't have a beard with twigs in it, I don't have an MG, and I have been known to drink lager.

What I definitely don't do is go into a crowded pub at Friday lunchtime, when umpteen people are waiting to be served, and start asking for ****ing samples of this and that and start swilling them round my gob like Jilly ****ing Goolden. Buy a pint you **** and be quick about it. If it turns out you're not keen, write some tasting notes in your sad little book and then try something else.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
When in my local Wetherspoons, they always have a selection of guest ales. I try, when they have it, to get Hobgoblin, but on the odd occasion that they don't have it, I will ask what dark ales they have, (normally at least one) and yes, I will ask to taste it, i.e drink it direct in one swallow, before buying it as once I tasted one, and it was as bitter as hell. I certainly would not ask to start tasting more than one though. If the ale I tried is not to my liking, I'll go for a lighter one I know.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I had a similar experience in our local Sam Smiths some time ago. Strange pub chain to do beer tasting I know, but if you're new to the brand.

A group of young lads and lasses were trying the beers and lagers and writing the specific gravity in their little black books and asking the young barmaid about the beers, much to her bemusement.

They then sit and discuss the beers, entertaining stuff.:thumbup:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Beer nerds.

If you go to a Yard House (chain bar in the US)
they sell you a 6 glass "Sampler" from their vast
selection on on tap beers.

Maybe the UK pubs are missing a trick?

·
Registered
526 Posts
buy a pint

drink it

ANYONE asking for a taster is a [email protected]
**** the wife was right after all, I am a [email protected] :thumbup:

I think anyone with an ounce of self awareness will understand when its right and not right to ask for a sample. My local who brews saddlers ales which are the best selection of beers I've ever tried, always seems to have a new ale on every monday when I go in after football. But it's not cheap! it's £3.60-£3.70 a pint and I can only have 2, so i'm not supping a beer I'm not keen on for the sake of 20 seconds trying a quick sample. If it's busy I'll have something I know, If not then I'm having my sample and if it's really quiet I'll be a bigger [email protected] and have 2...

A good ale pub (not weatherspoons) who has any idea about getting repeat business will encourage it, as it's all part of the marketing process of getting more of your custom more often.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
I like most beers, I do ask for a sample if its somthing ive not had before, I might only have 1 pint if we go for dinner so I dont want to waste it on something I dont really like.

I love doing the sample trays, did one in prague and in Nuremburg - really good. Have found a couple of places that do it in NYC too so will give it a go.

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Surely this rant should be against selfish inconsiderate [email protected] in general.
Nothing about the behaviour of the sample taker at a crowded bar is about the fact that he drinks real ale.
Neither is it significantly different from the person at the crowded supermarket checkout fumbling for vouchers in their purse, chatting with their kids, taking 5 mins to find their loyalty card, dithering about whether to pay cash or search through pockets and handbags for cards, before eventually settling up and THEN deciding to start slowly packing their shopping while the queue behind them seethe with impatience and irritation. Probably drinks Bailey's. ;)

In both these cases this behaviour would be fine if others weren't being made to wait.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Couple of pubs locally do a tasting tray. Its a wooden paddle shape with three holes and they will give you a third of a pint of three beers. I think that's a good idea. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I like to try a different ale but would only ask for a sample if it's quiet enough and reasonably clear they do them such as the Hydes' house up at Affetside.

That way I found I really liked their rather boringly named "Manchester" ale and have had it as my default there when it is busy.

It's a heck of a let down when you take a punt based on the emblem's description and you have to battle through it rather than waste it.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I do agree that beer or wine snobs pontificating about "notes" and finish in earshot of others is massively knobbish.

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
I hate pub quiz nights where the quizmaster speaks to his flock at earsplitting volume over the PA system, rendering all other thought or conversation impossible.
It seems that every time I try to meet a friend for a chat and a pint, whichever pub on whichever night bad luck says it will be quiz night. :yes:
:rant:
:lol:

·
Registered
526 Posts
I hate pub quiz nights where the quizmaster speaks to his flock at earsplitting volume over the PA system, rendering all other thought or conversation impossible.
It seems that every time I try to meet a friend for a chat and a pint, whichever pub on whichever night bad luck says it will be quiz night. :yes:
:rant:
:lol:
God yes. Could not agree more.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I like warm beer, I don't care that it's called the sparrows [email protected] or the Badgers nadgers and brewed by people who are too cool for skool. I don't however like pub quizzes populated by professional quizzy rascals that only drink something that has a stupid name and know the name of Viking heaven. I also drink lager, I occasionally watch sport on TV in a pub, I have even eaten in one or two but I have never asked for a taster and held a beer glass aloft with my pinky sticking out whilst annoying the rest of the pub with my inane hop knowledge. Onanistic tendencies like that clearly mark the guy out as a bit of a tool.

·
Premium Member
77,410 Posts
Notwithstanding the cost of ale, I think there is a long standing tradition of supping, pulling a face, declaring a bad pint, and gamely grimacing on to the bitter, hoppy end.

Then buying something else.

Surely that is the way of the great bloke?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Notwithstanding the cost of ale, I think there is a long standing tradition of supping, pulling a face, declaring a bad pint, and gamely grimacing on to the bitter, hoppy end.

Then buying something else.

Surely that is the way of the great bloke?
Not these days. Traditional pubs are closing in huge numbers daily. There is a massive upsurge in real ale brewers and drinkers, and considering a gallon of Petrol is a fiver and a Gallon of beer ranging from £24 to £32, I think it is perfectly feasible to ask for a taste of a previously untried ale. You probably spend 30 to 50 quid for a small bottle of aftershave/perfume, and I'm sure that most do a spray test to ascertain if you like it or not.
Times are changing, beers are getting more sophisticated than the old frothy slosh kicking about a few years ago, and pubs need to up their game to stay in the game. Gone are the days, when pubs would be rocking & rolling nearly every night, and at weekends. The "Great bloke" will be more choosy and select his beer very carefully.........by tasting it first.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Couple of pubs locally do a tasting tray. Its a wooden paddle shape with three holes and they will give you a third of a pint of three beers. I think that's a good idea. :thumbup:
The new "trendy" bar offers something like that too.

The only time I worry about "notes" on beers is at a beer festival. And then I restrict myself to "yes" (I like it) or "no" (I don't)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts