Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the infamous noisy steering whine/groan, and took the car to dealer to diagnose the problem last week. They said it's quite a common concern on 159/Brera and it's necessary to replace the ps pump and maybe the steering rack( around 1300 euros). Being a technicaly inclined kind of person, suggested to first flush and replace the steering fluid before attempting something radical. They looked at me (the "engineers") like I was trying to make them look silly: " You don't have the proper training to teach us what to do!". Okay...I'm a dentist and I'm used to tackle situations with patience before plunging into something radical. So got home, bought 5 liters of Dexron III ATF (as recommended by the manual) and spend this sunny morning flushing the entire steering system by myself. Guess what! No more noise and vibration anymore! I dont know if it's a design fault or simply the system is too sensitive to fluid quality. It's another car now...Try this before waisting time and hard-earned money!

·
Registered
831 Posts
yeah, it runs out in 3 years...
got patronized by the dealer when I told them about the very same problem and I thought it's the fact they don't wanna replace it under warranty.

not to hijack the thread, I had the car remapped by a big company and they unfortunately didn't managed to do it proper - check engine light was on all the time - so I got my money back and gave up the idea for now. gonna get it done somewhere in Italy in spring.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
There is a technical bulletin about a modified fluid to cure that!
I occasionally have the same noise issue at full lock. Where can I find this so called tech bulletin or info about modified fluid??

·
Registered
151 Posts
yeah, it runs out in 3 years...
got patronized by the dealer when I told them about the very same problem and I thought it's the fact they don't wanna replace it under warranty.

not to hijack the thread, I had the car remapped by a big company and they unfortunately didn't managed to do it proper - check engine light was on all the time - so I got my money back and gave up the idea for now. gonna get it done somewhere in Italy in spring.
Hi toshy, i had my 2.4 remapped at this guys. very proffesional. check them out, on second thoghts it maybe a bit far though for you.
I hope this link works (first time for everything, fingers crossed)

http://www.ziptuning.nl/chiptuning/Alfa-Romeo-159-Sportwagon-2.4-JTDm-20v-Q4-210pk.html#header

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Yeah I heard that the noisy steering issue that happens on some cars can be fixed by changing the fluid to a slightly different type (?)

Also I've been told not to hold the steering hard on full lock for too long as the belt has been known to jump off !

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Yes it can. My car was noisy last winter, cured by changing the steering fluid.
Did you change the fluid with one of original spec or a better one?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Ok boys and girls to make life easy if you dip your finger into P.A.S res if its RED its the old type GREEN its the new type but main dealers need to hear the noise first hope that helps anyone

·
Registered
22,305 Posts
Had the belt come off mine twice now:cry: The second time they changed the fluid but that was only a few hundred miles ago so i don't know if it has cured the problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts