Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Vibrating clutch on my 155

155'ers... here's a question for you lot...

155andproud said:
Hi people, my 155 (1.8ts 94) is having trouble selecting first gear and reverse. The clutch pedal is vibrating and is biting right at the bottom (clutch pressed hard to the floor to get into first) Been to the local garage and they had a quick look and the clutch plate is fine but they are unsure what it could be. Being a student I cant afford the local alfa garage to empty my pockets and as the car has done 155000 miles and the problem doesnt seem to be getting any worse its not really worth taking the car apart to find the problem. So anyway was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and knows what it is. Thanks
Here is my response...
McGuinn said:
The vibrating is probably a warped clutch friction plate... Maybe you overcooked it at some stage... and the biting point being at the lowest point may be a clue...
Can you blead the clutch system? Is there loads of brake-clutch fluid in the resevoir?
Otherwise, you may have a worn master/slave cylinder.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: Vibrating clutch on my 155

1st a question how can you check a clutch plate properly without taking it out??
I think that the friction plate is stuffed the vibration could be coming from the springs in the center of the plate being broken :eek: :eek: I had this happen on mine and it finally stopped working all together as a spring partially fell out and stopped the clutch disengaging :( :( ended up starting the car in first and driving the 3/4 of amile home in 1st gear.... :(

·
Registered
1,808 Posts

how did they check the cluch plate???

san

·
Registered
4,651 Posts

Chances are its a worn clutch with damaged or weak springs :rolleyes: but it could also be the slave cylinder leaking fluid causing the pedal biting point to be right at the floor

Another thing :rolleyes: if the clutch has got oil on it it will cause it to vibrate from either a leaky crank oil seal or a worn spigot shaft seal :rolleyes:

C

·
0 Posts

Cheers for the resposnse guys, they know its not the clutch because they changed it a while back, sorry didnt make it too clear. The car goes through the gears ok and doesnt slip out of gear or anything like that. Its just that it doesnt like selecting first or reverse. And the vibrations through the pedal are constant.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts

155andproud said:
Cheers for the resposnse guys, they know its not the clutch because they changed it a while back, sorry didnt make it too clear. The car goes through the gears ok and doesnt slip out of gear or anything like that. Its just that it doesnt like selecting first or reverse. And the vibrations through the pedal are constant.
Sounds more like the gearbox than the clutch :eek:

san

C

·
0 Posts

the car has been in the family since new, spoken to the old man he says the clutch and gearbox were changed 3 years ago (25000miles) after the gearbox was cracked by a stone or something, nearly sending the alfa to an early grave! however the gearbox was second hand and has always given a bit of a crunch into reverse. but other than that was fine and as i said the vibrating is a new problem. i seriously hope its not the gearbox because cant afford one of those!! looks like ill be taking the advice of the garage and driving it till it wont drive no more! then talking it apart to see if it can be fixed. thanks again tho guys very impressed with the quick responses. heres hoping the car keeps going for many more miles. (i reckon 200,000 is realistic enough :D )

J

·
0 Posts

155andproud said:
they know its not the clutch because they changed it a while back
im sorry but that means nothing, i'd bet the release bearing has worn into the pressure plate and got stuck hence the vibration all the time, you wouldnt notice the poor gear change after you got into second anyway but the vibration would still be there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts