Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of having my 3.2 Spider re-sprayed black instead of it's factory silver. Current condition of the paintwork is very good but I really do like black on a 916...

I know it wouldn't be cheap but does anyone have an opinion whether this could actually have the reverse effect and reduce the value of the car as it wouldn't be the original factory colour?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You could always wrap it on a short term basis and if you still like it black then you can plan in a later date. If you dont like it then you can always unwrap it without doing damage to the original paint work.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I think any respray/ colour change is fine, providing it is done extremely well, with everything stripped out. I.e basically bare body shell. Flaming expensive though!! Probably cheaper to sell your current one and buy a black one.....if they exist.
Personally, and happy to be corrected, but don't think it would affect the value at all.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I think any respray/ colour change is fine, providing it is done extremely well, with everything stripped out. I.e basically bare body shell. Flaming expensive though!! Probably cheaper to sell your current one and buy a black one.....if they exist.
Personally, and happy to be corrected, but don't think it would affect the value at all.
Agree with this, but if not stripped out fully and the old colour is evident, then there will be an impact on value ;)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You gotta be looking at £4000 for a proper colour change respray. You would never get that back when reselling and black is very hard to maintain.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
My advice.....don't do it.

Black is horrendous to keep 'unblemished' & even paintshops find it a hard colour to polish to a perfect mirror finish. Silver is much more forgiving...as is nearly every other colour other than black.

If your planning on taking the engine & all the glass out + stripping the engine bay, doors & under sides of bonnet & boot....then maybe but it's still better to keep it original.

Clive

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Matt black wrap if you have to....

As has been said, unless you are going to go the whole hog and take the engine out, it will just devalue the car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses - doesn't sound like a particularly good idea on balance!

I agree that black cars are definitely harder to keep looking good - I have two black cars (one being an Alfa) and they do need a lot of regular washing to look good - but after a wash, I really don't anything can beat it

The silver Spider was overhauled last year at huge expense (engine rebuild inc. powder coat finish, Quaiffe, clutch, rebuilt suspension, wizard exhaust etc) so I should have done it then really...

Silver still looks good even when it's quite grubby!

Has anyone ever seen a 3.2 Spider in black?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts