Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Spider S3 electrical problem

Hi all - great Spider weather isn't it. However I am off road at the moment - brake lights stopped working, so checked fuses - found 1 x 10 amp fuse blown so cleaned & replaced, but still no brake lights. Decided to check out the earth on rear lamp clusters, checked bulbs etc. but all OK. While checking the bulbs I managed to short out flasher lamp bulb holder. So now left with no brake lights: indicators (front & rear); no radio; no hazard warning lights. Advice would be really welcome as we were planning to take her to Southern France next month.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
what year S3?
early has round bullet type fuses (notoriously troublesome things) and later spiders have the newer flat push-in (less troublesome!) fuses?

Flashers:
My guess is you might have fried the flasher relay (for indicators/Hazards)
The flasher relay is usually the one on the far right in the second row (Possibly brown in colour, marked Lancia?)
Brake Lights:
You sure that the brake lamp switch (located on the brake pedal) is good, wires not pulled out?....If wires are properly connected, take them off and join them that should make the brake lights go on, and would point to a suspect brake switch....sometimes a spray of electrical contact cleaner does the job.
Edit: if by doing this the brake light fuse still blows, then it'd likely point to a short in the brake light units themselves....check the brake bulb sockets in the lamp unit carefully that they have not been dislocated and are touching something they shouldn't!

Dom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S3 electrical problem

Hi Dom

Thanks for your feedback - very useful indeed. I should have said that it's a late 1989 model.
I've ordered a flasher relay, should be with me tomorrow. As far as the brake lights go, I bypassed the switch & unfortunately no power to the bulbs. So will be bringing a multimeter home tomorrow to see what where the power is and isn't.

Once again - many thanks

John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dom

Brake light problem is finally sorted. The switch had been rewired at some point, but was underneath the clutch pedal, so had gradually worn through the plastic coating, creating a short.
As for the flasher lights, hazard & radio - I changed the flasher light relay + a rogue fuse - problem solved.
The car passed the MOT on Thursday, so France here we come !

Once again - thanks for the advice.

John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leaky lower diff cover

After a long journey to Cahors and back in my 1989 Series 3, the gasket on the lower diff. cover failed. I have replaced the gasket, and now I can't undo the filler plug. Does anyone out there know what size allen key do I need to do this ?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I have replaced the gasket, and now I can't undo the filler plug. Does anyone out there know what size allen key do I need to do this ?
ahh! the good old tip of always loosening the filler plugs on gearbox or rear axle before draining the oil...:)

it is a 12mm allen on my '90 spider

1 - 7 of 7 Posts