Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re:Retro fitting steering controls (Not working)

I've a lusso, swapped out the non lusso wheel for one with controls (also a clockspring from ebay) and i get no action from the wheel side, not even the buttons are illuminated. The horn works however.

Being a Lusso, i do have the green ISO W/ wires, so can anyone confirm if the green ISO leads directly to the clockspring as the colours do not match up with the wiring which plugs into the clock spring.

Cheers

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took some photos today and noticed the RC-A/RC-B on the green ISO aren't there, but the 3x phone connections are there, as is the ground.

The stereo was purchased from ebay as the old one wasn't giving any sound.

So what's the deal here?

Attachments

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Your replacement headunit would be compatible, but the car's looms are obviously not.

I've no idea how much extra wiring you'd need to install to make it work. The steering wheel buttons are a simple set of resistive circuits (ie: each button is associated with a circuit of different resistance), and require a +5V or +12V power supply to function (it may be +12V, but I recall reading reference to +5V but that could easily be false). The power supply presumably also operates the backlighting.

Best to get a copy of the workshop manual (eg: an ebay CD copy); I actually recommend the GT version because the software is far more detailed yet easier to navigate than the 147 version I have, and the wiring should be the same. Check the wiring diagrams and go from there.

:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Your replacement headunit would be compatible, but the car's looms are obviously not.

I've no idea how much extra wiring you'd need to install to make it work. The steering wheel buttons are a simple set of resistive circuits (ie: each button is associated with a circuit of different resistance), and require a +5V or +12V power supply to function (it may be +12V, but I recall reading reference to +5V but that could easily be false). The power supply presumably also operates the backlighting.

Best to get a copy of the workshop manual (eg: an ebay CD copy); I actually recommend the GT version because the software is far more detailed yet easier to navigate than the 147 version I have, and the wiring should be the same. Check the wiring diagrams and go from there.

:)
Thank you.

For starters, i can't even find any kind of loom resembling the one i'd need if i were to buy one. The loom i need connects to the main loom & thus a mile long bunch of tangled wires? What would i be looking for on this diagram? Following the green ISO back?

I'm confused as the car 'is' a Lusso & everything else being Lusso apart from the changed wheel controls.

Do you think it's worth the hassle or shall i just put up with no controls?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts