1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've seen similar forums, but not seen an answer to this:

I have an Alfa 159 SW with 1 key.

I can, as you'd expect, get hold of a key fob fairly easily, which will of course not work with my Alfa. Is it feasible to:

1. Re-programme the key fob to work with my car myself?
2. As money is always an issue with these things - if 1. isn't feasible, is there still a way round this that won't break the bank?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
When you say get a key fob do you mean new or used? You cannot program a used key again as they are 1 shot.

as for programming I struggled when I got a replacement and found only really a dealer thing. There may be people that do it but all the independents I contacted wouldn’t or couldn’t do 159 find.
Dealer was £550 which included the key,I think programming was £80 of that total

·
Registered
209 Posts
Programming is not that hard, but it is almost impossible to get a hold of a programmable key.
As johnnyroper mentioned, they are 1 time use.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was lucky when I lost one of my keys that I had cover with www.keycare.co.uk it had cost me £30 for a years membership and they paid for a new key from the dealer and for it to be programmed. No quible,no excess, just had to wait a few days to see if they got handed in (they send you a tag to attach to your keys when you join)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep i can re use old keys.

I pull the data off the key reader, Insert the serial of a used key in there, program it back in.

Using that data i also program the transponder to allow both starting and remote to work.

I have a way to unlock the used keys but thats a secret as its cost me many pounds and broken keys/ecu kits

email [email protected] for more info

I need key reader and a working key to do this for around £180

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yep i can re use old keys.

I pull the data off the key reader, Insert the serial of a used key in there, program it back in.

Using that data i also program the transponder to allow both starting and remote to work.

I have a way to unlock the used keys but thats a secret as its cost me many pounds and broken keys/ecu kits

email [email protected] for more info

I need key reader and a working key to do this for around £180
Thats cool, so we're no longer bound to the dealers.
Do you franchise to other regions? 180 pounds plus two way shipping might exceed the cost of a new key at the dealers in some regions.

·
Premium Member
7,106 Posts
guess it also depends on price of a new key. A new (virgin) key you can also program yourself with MES ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well I've still to work out pricing but I'm thinking 150+shipping will work better. Where are you based?
Was just a hypothetical, I'm in the Netherlands so shipping is not too bad (Might change after brexit).

I don't really have an issue with the price, I mean you have a valuable skill. I think it's more an issue of access to the service you provide.
I don't know how much demand there will be for your service outside UK/EU

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
The deeply skeptical part of me is very suspicious that something that many experts have failed to do for a long time can now be done relatively cheaply. Im a one key person so an keen to get another. Hopefully someone with more faith than me who I can trust will get one done ….just to prove to me it can actually be done!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I
The deeply skeptical part of me is very suspicious that something that many experts have failed to do for a long time can now be done relatively cheaply. Im a one key person so an keen to get another. Hopefully someone with more faith than me who I can trust will get one done ….just to prove to me it can actually be done!!
I've done it on my 2.4 and got a few mates lined up too.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't easy. Lots and lots of work and research went into it for almost a year. Broke many keys, bricked a few ECU kits too. Thousands in chips and equipment.

Tbh I did it for myself and my 159 as I wasn't going to pay dealer prices. Not due to money but a matter of principle

·
Registered
32 Posts
guess it also depends on price of a new key. A new (virgin) key you can also program yourself with MES ;)
"Virgin" keys need to be pre coded to the car. Usually done by dealers when you order. Or can be generated from the body computer in some cases

1 - 19 of 19 Posts