Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been keeping an eye on my DPF and fuel consumption, I have MultiscanECU and have noticed the average distance between re gens is around 350km today it was 140km. If a regen failed to complete would the ECU count again when it restarts? Im pretty sure it didn't complete early this week (stuck in traffic). Also after it finished today the blocking was 21% I think this is ok?

Rich

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
If regen failed to complete ECU would initiate another regen again as soon as regen conditions available.
ECU counts quantity of regens but I do not know if it counts failed regen as a completed ones. Suppose so.
21% is OK.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The number of regenerations counted in your engine ECU is displaying both: completed ones as well the aborted ones.

Interval is almost fully dependent on average speed, i.d. the higher it is yor intervall will be also. All due to the fact it is timer based mostly (on average mine does approx. 6 hours in between.

After completion it goes always back to 20% for some strange reason, but it can also reach 120% before initiated. As described the circumstances must be good first.

5 times abording and you will get a message on display to keep it moving. Not sure though if other than 2.0 do that as well. If you still ignore you will have to force one, but I would try to avoid since it is a nasty procedure in terms of stress for components.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys thats a relief I thought it was ok just my short trips + traffic jams making it worse recently.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The 2.0 DPF is different to the 1.9/2.4 DPF

2.0 is close coupled (It sits in the exhaust just beyond the exhaust manifold so stays much hotter than the 1.9/2.4 and is much more efficient)

The 1.9/2.4 DPF is in the middle of the exhaust and so runs much cooler under normal conditions and suffers much more from problems.

In the 1.9/2.4 the regen interval is controlled by time since last regen and pressure measured infront of the DPF (not average speed)

If your % blocked is around 20% after a regen then you should have no problems.

check your pressure as well, if that is high then regardless of your blocked % you have a problem (Cant remember what figures I used to get, I can probably dig them out if your interested)

But from what you describe you should be ok.

Axe

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,

As I thought I reckon its just didn't complete several times, I would be interested what the pressure should be when normal(20%)

Rich

·
Registered
291 Posts
If your % blocked is around 20% after a regen then you should have no problems.

Cheers for that information I've always wondered why after a regen it always gives a reading of about 20% clogged. Thought it was because of the cars mileage, 130k, and on its original DPF.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
DPF's do have a finite life (espect them to die anywhere between 80-150k, you can help keep them clean, there is stuff that you put in your fuel tank (presume it only actual reaches the DPF when you are running a regen and it is just pumping fuel though non firing cycles). Wurth also do some stuff you spray in the DPF can then run the engine.

But yes, the 1.9 and 2.4 run primarily a time based system with a pressure back up. Think the 1.9 goes for longer without a regen (as less soot is produced by it!).. However, it will do a FULL regen it you stop it during a regen, even if it's 95% done. for the 1.9, the regen lasted about 10mins.

I had the DPF fixitsan dongle, worked very well, it simply reset the DPF 'clock' everytime you turned off the engine, you would have to core your DPF to get it to work though.

·
Registered
564 Posts
[Edit: data from when idling, just after completing a regeneration cyclus. I guess however it is very much depending also on total mileage of your DPF and corresponding driving style; i.d. how many times it actually regenerated fully.]

I would advise better not to mess with your expensive and health saving DPF. Just try to avoid circling round the church as we say over here. Again, the higher your overall average speed is, the higher miles your interval in between will be as it is mostly timer based.

Will post a screenshot of the status' later, must have some data on that.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts