Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SORRY TO BE BACK AGAIN BUT IN MY QUEST TO KEEP ANOTHER ALFA GOING i HAVE HIT A SNAG ON MY REBUILD.
The replacement engine I am installing into my car is a slightly earlier model of 2.0L so the lead or sensor from the exhaust cam sprocket pick up is not only shorter than the 1999 car I am dealing with but is a different kind of plug so not compatible with the harness already in place, do I have to replace the whole sensor/pickup ,which means retiming and removing the sprocket to get at the sensor,looks like it can be unbolted,or do I just cut and join the lead with more modern Plug,(blue one I should have mentioned which joins at rear of plenum)
Cheers Pat:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I guess there is no answer out there, never mind I have had to undo all the timing now pity it went this far unnoticed as the car is back in situ as at seemed the only thing left to do to change to the uptodate rpm pick up,never mind we live and learn-------- quite a few things actually!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bit by bit we are , well I am getting there having half installed the engine and gearboxI tilted it forward and removed all the timing covers etc, fitted the rpm sensor and retimed everythng put all back together fitted the power steering pipes which I was waiting for a seal anyway,fitted plenum loosley attached all the sensors from underneath ad bolted all four mounts!---------not easy especially the outriggers if you know what I mean.
So its bottom engine mount and the rest as it happens.

One question I have is is it all right to set the tensioner then when you get turn it round to different positions it has moved, silly q really I suppose its just altering its postion relative to tension,can anyone confirm?:eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sensor wise although I haven't worked on the Alfa I would put the old inlet manifold with all sensors onto your new engine and carry across as many sensors as you can. Otherwise you will have issues!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes done all that so everything is going smoothly, did notice something that seems to fox me slightly, there seems to be a cap or something that is supposed to go on the end of the fuel rail,(don`t remember dismantling this) it must be where you can test the fuel line pressure or something , can anyone enlighten me.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if the pressure test point is not covered its missing a cap?
Can anyone show me what is meant to be there please?

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK guys , I have read Rob`s post with dismay and worry that I may have the same probs.
This engine was complete out of another car ,2.0, every belt tensioner , belt , sensor has been changed over,new bottom end and rebuilt and put back in. So done the idle control setting as initial startup would not idle but that would not help, still kept the engine running with difficulty and it found itself after snorting and struggling to keep going ran at 3000 and let the throttle back slowly to idle and seemed to be better but still with slight popping and uneveness.Did this for a while and tried to see if the throttle response was there but it did not like it , very hesitant at revving and snorting at the same time, is there anything more I can do.
Does the ECU need a bit more time to learn a different engine considering that the last block was destroyed a few times including running on 3cyl and I mean threedoes this affect memoy after ill running for 10mths?:confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Pat, The end of my fuel rail has a black plastic screw which was very easy to undo. I don't know what it does though?

Don't mention cam position sensor's in my presence!!!
Actually I have just been reading a technical site about possible problems/causes. It mentions electrical interferance from cables being routed too close to high voltage cables etc.. It just so happen's that I have routed my cable in a slightly different route around the back of the plenum chamber near the alternator! I will be moving it tomorrow morning before I take the cambelts off again! Worth a try, you never know!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the cables are OK onthis one , I `m not sure if you have seen the last post of mine , but any ideas?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It sounds a bit like mine was when I did the timing the first time!
It was 'Hunting' at tickover which was about 1300rpm? Then I realised my balance belt was not lined up right so I suppose that would explain it running a bit uneven/unbalanced. Also when I plugged the code reader in first time after rebuild I had about 5 error codes?

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do the previous error codes inhibit the running of the engie while they are documented?

R

·
0 Posts
I'll be searching the breakers yards for throttles tomorrow, and I'll let you know if it makes a difference

R

·
0 Posts
I know, but at least when you can't sleep due to the stress of it (like me) you have the forums to come and speak to similar lunatics (like me) who put up with the problems because they just love their alfa's (like I do) and still find time in between stripping bits off them and messing up the kitchen sink with dirty finger prints (like me) to chat on t'internet and tell everybody else their problems. :lol:

Good luck mate, I'll let you know how it goes with the throttle and at least then you'll have an idea what to look for on yours

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
re last q do error codes have to be cleared before things can work normally again if they can , do you see what I mean?
Thanks for amusing support!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts