Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago a member wrote that his battery was flat and he would have to give his car a run to charge the battery.
Another member replied that it was better to let the car tick over, and it would give the battery a better charge.
I have been trying to find these posts again with out success, can anybody? Lead me to them.
Cheers Pippin

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Don't think it would make much difference - don't modern alternators give a pretty consistent charge voltage over the rev range?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1.8TS Sports thank you for the link, there is some good info, but I found it a bit technical

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,380 Posts
don't modern alternators give a pretty consistent charge voltage over the rev range?
Yes they do, bizarrely they even give a VERY slightly higher charge on tickover !

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
My GTV battery was totally dead so I connected it up to the bravo and ran it for about 1 minute at tickover.

When I fitted it back on the GTV it started fine.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I've been told by my garage and a battery place that modern cars can't really charge the battery, they can only maintain the charge that's there. In order to charge it, you need to attach a mains charger, apparently.

·
16,380 Posts
I've been told by my garage and a battery place that modern cars can't really charge the battery, they can only maintain the charge that's there. In order to charge it, you need to attach a mains charger, apparently.
:confused:

I really do not believe that at all. On my TS I tested it and even with everything " ON ", HRW, Heater Blower, Headlights et al, I was still getting a slight charge.

On my 1982 GTV6 doing the same test it went slightly " negative, " ie into a slight discharge situation, but this would rarely happen for long in real life conditions.

So, contrary to what people have said to you, it seems to me, logically so, that modern cars have in fact BETTER charging systems.

Of course if your battery is on its way out then nothing will charge it properly. Interestingly enough though I feel that modern batteries do not fail slowly like the old ones used to ( remember the increasingly slow half dozen turns before the dreaded click ? ) but one day they seem fine and the next they are completely nadgered.

Just my tuppence worth after doing some pretty thorough checks.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
:confused:

I really do not believe that at all. On my TS I tested it and even with everything " ON ", HRW, Heater Blower, Headlights et al, I was still getting a slight charge.

On my 1982 GTV6 doing the same test it went slightly " negative, " ie into a slight discharge situation but this would rarely happen for long in real life conditions.

So, contrary to what people have said to you it seems to me, logically so, that modern cars have in fact BETTER charging systems.

Of course if your battery is on it's way out then nothing will charge it properly. Interestingly enough though I feel that modern batteries do not fail slowly like the old ones used to ( remember the increasingly slow half dozen turns before the dreaded click ? ) but one day they seem fine and the next they are completely nadgered.

Just my tuppenceworth after doing some pretty thorough checks.
To be honest, I didn't really believe them either, just surprised they both seemed so sure! My 164 will happily charge the battery from flat after a jump start, but then it is thirteen years old.

The battery place's "magic" machine said that my GTA battery could hold a charge fine, but was low on charge. I didn't believe him as it would be fine after a drive, but struggle to start when left overnight. He said, try giving it a charge and if that doesn't work, he'll replace it. I couldn't work out how to get the battery out of the car and as the battery was the original, I just had it replaced anyway.

·
16,380 Posts
To be honest, I didn't really believe them either, just surprised they both seemed so sure! My 164 will happily charge the battery from flat after a jump start, but then it is thirteen years old.

The battery place's "magic" machine said that my GTA battery could hold a charge fine, but was low on charge. I didn't believe him as it would be fine after a drive, but struggle to start when left overnight. He said, try giving it a charge and if that doesn't work, he'll replace it. I couldn't work out how to get the battery out of the car and as the battery was the original, I just had it replaced anyway.
:thumbs:

I think that skill is needed to interpret the results that a " tester " gives, that applies not just to cars but to everything else as well. I've worked in electronics all my life and used some pretty exotic Test Gear but you have to know what to make of the results. I've met many a techie who have been useless at this............

You are so right though, once a battery starts giving trouble just replace it, once you have proved that the charging system is working correctly and you have no corroded contacts/earths etc.

Just about the most irritating thing in the world is a car with a flat battery, you feel like kicking it - and I have ! :wow:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My battery went flat in the cold weather over Christmas when the car had not been driven for five days whilst I was away. A jump-start and a drive to Yorkshire from Berkshire sorted that, no trouble since.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had two batteries within the last 18 months which, according to the ‘on battery indicators’ have been dead. However using “Granville Battery Aid Tablets” they have both become GOOD batteries. You add the tablets and give it a good charge (I did this with a charger, not the alternator). Since I have added these tablets both batteries have held charge, and start my cars first time, despite them having little use (less than 600 miles each) within the last year. In answer to your question, it depends on the state of your battery. A very flat battery will take a higher charge, provided your acid levels are good (this is what the tablets sort out) and the plates aren’t too damaged. A good high rev run will charge it quicker (the high current should clear the plates but too higher current will “burn” them however a good charger or alternator will prevent this’). If it just slightly flat a slow charge (tick over) will be fine. If you want to go technical then a charge cycle would be better. The tablets cost about £4.50 so I always think it is worth a go. :thumbs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts