Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, over the last couple of months i have noticed that on tick-over, even if the car is warmed up after being driven for a 30 mins or so, the engine sounds very rattly.

I know the variator has gone on my 1.8 tspark but would this contribute to the noise on tick-over?

The engine has covered 88k now and had a oil and filter change at 85k, i keep the oil topped up, and the engine pulls very well drives as normal.

is this a case of the engine just having high-ish milage or is it something else?

Thanks for any help.

M

·
0 Posts
sounds like a knackered tensioner....

my advice would be to get it checked out asap...

hope all goes well

:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yup,

I agree with superturismo, get it checked out quick !

At your local good guy and not at a stealers of course !

It could be something simple or a warning for something more serious thats about to happen - think along the lines of valves starting to go wrong ! little thing to start with, but big if it's left and pistons start hitting them - I'm heading into an engine rebuild/replacement myself soon.

Don't want to sound too heavy, but...........be aware.

cheers

·
Administrator
23,077 Posts
Classic variator noise - you should hear our "diesel" 147.

If you have gone more than 36k since the last cambelt and tensioner change then do it now and replace the variator at the same time.

If you are not due a belt change yet then live with it - sounds awful but it is not harmful.

Paul.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts