Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, over the weekend i have a noise appeared like a rattle from engine,on tick over it sounds like tappets,under load it goes after 2500 revs then on deceleration its back untill you put your foot down and go above 2500,i have reved it with my head under the bonnet stationary and its there all the time,under load it goes,this mornning when i got to work i switched the engine off whilst stood outside and heard a squeek as it stopped,luckily i have tommorrow off to have a look,any ideas lads,it had full belt change 7 months ago,cam,ballence and water pump.

·
Registered
985 Posts
It may be sticking valves so i would try a bottle of forte fuel treatment or injector treatment which can help free up the moving parts. I have been told by my mechanic that using redex is a waste of time and money

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It's got to be something external, On low engine revs, the engine is more unbalanced so it will spin with a bit more inertia than at higher revs, Chances are it's what Turtle said :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update (rattle noise)

Cheers guys,well spent all mornning,cam covers off checking stuff,couldnt find nothing,all exhaust brackets where as they should be and tight,took it to my local garage bunged a dude a tenner to have a listen and look,its the variator,1500 revs rattle rattle,1700 revs all is quiet,tick over rattle rattle,
Bit of advice for anyone thinking of buying a Variator repair kit
DONT BOTHER :mad:
7 month life span
As all my belts were done 7 months back with a variator repair kit do i have to put a new cam belt on when i fit a new variator ?
thanx again lads

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I personally would do the belt again, I wouldn't want to take any chances.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts