Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK!....I've now officially given up on the constant irritating rattles resonating through the dashboard of my £25,000 Giulietta. And no....this thread isn't for the rattles section as I'd like to bring a more discerning single question to the forum table seeming as I've now tried 'everything' in the book using two local dealers and a grand total of 5 wasted visits!!

So, my question is....why on earth should a car made in 2012 with a premium price tag have these quality issues!!!!!!!!!!???????? None of my previous cars, including a great 147, have had this evil and grinding construction flaw…..certainly not the sound of a large trapped moth constantly trying to escape from the left hand side of the dash anyway!!...AND the way it moves around and stealthily hides whenever someone else drives the car is an absolute bl**dy mystery to me!

Well done Alfa Romeo.....what a way to ruin an otherwise excellent car. Bravo!

If anyone has any thoughts on why we/I should put up with this then please let me know. Considering the many other issues I’ve read about on the forum it seems as though a lot of Giulietta drivers have similar issues.....OR other people can simply live with it!?……and pleeeeease no banal comments about how we should forfeit quality for an Alfa – Drive. I'd like to debate why as faithful customers we should accept it. Is it a left hand drive conversion issue?, climate/temperature difference?, etc

Ahhhhh..ggghhh
Cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
hi Plasma, my wife would totally agree with your view here....

previously she had a used Focus and I had my Astra from brand new, neither of us had any rattles/creaking or issues with the seats losing comfort like we've had with our Giulietta, so when we traded in both cars to buy our Giulietta, she was impressed that we were getting a "premium" car but ever since, she's constantly wondering whether a 1 Series or an A3 would have been a better investment....

it's a shame, we both LOVE the Giulietta because it's a great car to drive, but it's hard to properly enjoy the car on a Sunday afternoon drive, without feeling like you need to put the radio on to avoid listening to various creaks :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Got to agree. I must admit i'm very susceptible to noises that shouldnt be there and consequently this car drives me insane. Just waiting for the negative equity to balance out a bit then i'm afraid it'll be getting sold.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As much as I respect Alfa's and are drawn to their products mine will be sold on prematurely also. I think the shabby build quality has become way too intrusive to forgive....seeming as there are also persistent front suspension squeeks which are almost as annoying.....also looked at numerous times by the dealer.

I was really holding out for Alfa to turn things around with the Giulietta but sadly it's not the case. I cannot and will not trust the brand again.

PS. Has anyone tried to complain to ALFA UFK about rattles? With the Giulietta I'm guessing they're inundated!?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Your idea about whether there is an LHD conversion problem is an interesting one but I don't think you have enough European drivers on this forum to have a meaningful sample. If someone could read Italian or German etc. (I don't) they could browse some European alfa forums to see if there are an excessive number of complaints there.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
PS. Has anyone tried to complain to ALFA UFK about rattles? With the Giulietta I'm guessing they're inundated!?
I have a rattle on mine but is "carrier hub" related, or so I am told!

Re dash rattles, the Giulietta comes 7th in the latest satisfaction survey from autoexpress. This is of no comfort to those with unsolvable rattles but it points to the fact that overall they *generally* have the build quality ok.......doesnt it?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I had a LHD 75 that was much better built than all the RHD 75s I've owned.

No problems with the G yet but I sold my 159 early, partly due to concerns about the interior build quality.

My G was registered on 30th June last year but has only done 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
37,956 Posts
I've done nearly 24000 miles from new in mine and have had no cause to throw my rattles from the pram! Well, only when I fitted the blue-grey brushed metal dash insert and didn't push it fully into the clips.
The dealer did something about the front suspension a few thousand miles ago and the creak only reappeared on a very cold damp morning .

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your idea about whether there is an LHD conversion problem is an interesting one but I don't think you have enough European drivers on this forum to have a meaningful sample. If someone could read Italian or German etc. (I don't) they could browse some European alfa forums to see if there are an excessive number of complaints there.
Plenty of complaints on the Italian ClubAlfa forum, this thread for example:
Giulietta - Rumori e Scricchiolii - Tutto Qui - Parte II

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The Driver Power result was excellent, but it seemed to be achieved mostly by very good scores for performance, handling, ride, etc. From memory it scored mid-table on reliability but its lowest score was for build quality, which as a regular to this forum seems pretty accurate (on all counts).

Just hope I manage to find a G that is one of the better ones, as now that the used prices are coming down Im feeling like I might as well get one rather than a Fiat Bravo to replace the Stilo. When reading this section it does make me wonder whether spending £6k on a Bravo might be more satisfying than spending £10-12k on a G.

·
Registered
37,956 Posts
Liam , if you feel that way its probably better you forgo the superior dynamics of the Giulietta and save the money by getting the Bravo which is a bargain in comparison. However don't overreact to the criticism here and look at it for yourself and compare the drive with the Bravo . This comparison has been made on here by people who've owned / driven both. Personally I haven't had the rattle thing with mine , but I chose a Lusso . The Veloce /QV have harder suspension and leather /microfibre seats and a different dash insert which may make a difference ?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ive been thinking about this condition with Alfas, after 100yrs, one would presume that a company would manage to resolve any issues year on year, and only get better with time, one is surposed to learn from there mistakes, right! hey but not Alfa.

My GQV has a few rattles and creeks, done 8300Km's, 7months old.
Front seats in the QV featuring poor support and drove a demo model with serious creaks.
And what's with the air flow direction of the automatic air conditioner, when directed and dedicated to the windscreen @ least 70% blows firmly over the footwell. Amazing.
I checked another G on the show floor and does the same.
Has any1 else picked up this 'lack of air flow direction'?

These simple quality issues are what's keeping the genie in the bottle, and sales lower than the Titanic.

But hey with this negativity in mind. I'll remain behind the wheel of an Alfa and feel like '1 in a million' in my QV. An entertaining driving experience.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
If the heater is set to "Full Auto" then the car decides what is best :lol:

For full windscreen demist press the corresponding button, that SHOULD give you majority flow to the windscreen

As for the Giulietta vs the Bravo, we chopped in a 150k mile Bravo for the Giulietta. The Bravo was a softer car on 17" wheels. The Alfa is harder riding with 18" wheels. The Alfa handles better (by some margin), the steering feel is better (by some margin) but the Bravo was more comfortable. Part of that is the seats, which were softer on the Bravo.
As for build quality, they are on a par as far as I can tell so far!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Have to be honest - the build quality is the weak link on my car.

I have various little buzzes and rattles.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Personally I haven't had the rattle thing with mine , but I chose a Lusso . The Veloce /QV have harder suspension and leather /microfibre seats and a different dash insert which may make a difference ?
Nor have I in my QV. I do have a bit of a low speed/grotty road surface creak from the rear suspension which I'll get the dealer to look at next time it's in, but that's it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Sorry, can't help laughing a little. My current car, when new, had a £35k price tag (I certainly didn't pay that, thank goodness) and it's absolutely bloody awful for rattles, squeaks, creaks and random clonks and vibrations at only 2 years old. I'd happily live with the noises you guys describe because I doubt riding inside the drum of a cement mixer full of gravel would be louder than the Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have one in the right hand side that comes & goes. Havn't located the exact source yet.
In alfa's defence... just type in any car brand + rattle in google and be amazed by the results.

random example: bmw rattle --> top result: E92 M3 interior rattles

...M3 premium enough for you? :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have one in the right hand side that comes & goes. Havn't located the exact source yet.
In alfa's defence... just type in any car brand + rattle in google and be amazed by the results.

random example: bmw rattle --> top result: E92 M3 interior rattles

...M3 premium enough for you? :)
I agree. go for a spin in a Golf 6 GTi with a few thousand miles on the clock and you'll never complain about the Giulietta again.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My G is a possible the worst for rattles. I will challege anyone on here to beat it. This was compounded when I had a C1 hire car (damage repairs) in which it was totally silent from a £7k car.
Rattles include :
all windows and doors, dashboard, air vents ontop of dash board are a nightmare, buzzing from back seats, drivers side window switches, drivers seat creaking. It is the worst car I have ever owned for build quality. To top it all off the car shuddders when I get to 72 mph, steering wheel is fine and all wheels balanced, its the actual car shakes, its like sitting on a plate of jelly. Its been back to the dealers that many times I've got my own parking spot and most rattles I have tried to fix myself. I have 6 months left and I can order a new car..can not wait

·
Registered
208 Posts
My G is a possible the worst for rattles. I will challege anyone on here to beat it. This was compounded when I had a C1 hire car (damage repairs) in which it was totally silent from a £7k car.
Rattles include :
all windows and doors, dashboard, air vents ontop of dash board are a nightmare, buzzing from back seats, drivers side window switches, drivers seat creaking. It is the worst car I have ever owned for build quality. To top it all off the car shuddders when I get to 72 mph, steering wheel is fine and all wheels balanced, its the actual car shakes, its like sitting on a plate of jelly. Its been back to the dealers that many times I've got my own parking spot and most rattles I have tried to fix myself. I have 6 months left and I can order a new car..can not wait

I feel your pain bud. What will you be riding in 6 months time?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts