Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks...

So this morning i went out in the car (147 jtd 8 valve) and after a couple of minutes I heard this strange rattle... initially thought something had got stuck under the car... then i noticed it didn't alow down as i stopped so thought it was the clutch.

So I pulled up switch it off and waited. .. looked underneath and all good.
started back up and it started rattling.... popped the bonnet and sounded likeIit was coming from the head... Then it slowly disappeared.

so I jumped back in and off I went... then it hit me... There was barely any power.
tops of 30 / 40 and although just bare able, it took its time to get up to that speed compared to how it would normally drive.

Even with foot fully down it just does little... So I continued to drive it normally.. engine sounded fine all be it a little more diesel like...

So. . Now I'm scratching my head as to what it could be...

I have a little worry that it's the glow plug tip...

back in summer I was told the glow plug tip had snapped off and thus why I've had the glow plug warning for ages... but was told it's unlikely to fall out as it's clearly stuck in there...

but wouldn't the engine be more... ****ed sounding?

Many thanks people....

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Glow plugs don't really have any function once the engine is running......are you sure one of the turbo hoses hasn't popped off? The turbo itself could have failed of course, but usually you'd get lots of smoke......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but the tip has been sat jammed in the block for god know how long... have a feeling it's now decided to dislodge.

aldi this morning. ... The car was a pig to start...

but once started it doesn't sound particular rough...
but the engine did get up to 80 degrees in the short trip to work....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes but the tip has been sat jammed in the block for god know how long... have a feeling it's now decided to dislodge.

aldi this morning. ... The car was a pig to start...

but once started it doesn't sound particular rough...
but the engine did get up to 80 degrees in the short trip to work....

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If it had broken off below the threaded section that does sound like an accident waiting to happen, since the only thing holding it in place would be carbon and corrosion. But it seems to me far more likely it'd break above the threaded section, as a result of a seized thread and an attempt to get it out.

Are you sure your rattle isn't a gas leak from the glowplug, or an injector? That can make a nasty metallic noise. You'd likely be able to feel a gas leak. Also a compression test would show.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the lack of an update.

So after a couple of days I managed to get my mate at the garage to have a ganders...
well typically he jumped in it... went up the road, and a big plume of black smoke came out the back, and the power came....?

It's going in tomorrow to have the glow plugs changed... hopefully the tip that's stuck in will blow out...

but as to what the original rattle then sudden lack of power was .. who knows?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok... plugs changed.

It would appear number 4 cylinder has eaten the glow plug tip...

God knows how it'still running, power seems excellent, not sounding rough, confused much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts