Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any more details on this?
what do you need? it rattled at 3050 rpm , annoying as fk, kept them in a pulled position with some plastic holdings so that the metal wire inside the cable housing would not move as much hitting the housing thus making a rattle noise, almost fixed most of the sound, should change the cables.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Andrei,
I've had a noise that I've been unable to find. Mine sounds like a cable whipping metal or plastic. I'd like to check out what you've done as I've tried everything else apart from removing the dash.

So you took one side of the centre dash off where the dials are or where the gearstick and handbrake are? and pulled the carpet down and that exposed the cables? Did you take the metal trim away from the glovebox?

·
Registered
229 Posts
what do you need? it rattled at 3050 rpm , annoying as fk, kept them in a pulled position with some plastic holdings so that the metal wire inside the cable housing would not move as much hitting the housing thus making a rattle noise, almost fixed most of the sound, should change the cables.
Have a similar noise, but not constant. Removed glovebox and everything around, behind it, as that's where the sound comes but it didn't stop. Also remove the wiper plastics and wipers and run it around (while the rest where off) and I still got the rattle. Mostly it's when the road is anomalous or over humps.

Since your's is a RHD car (Romania right?) you removed the driver's side panel. Although I don't think it's important since the apart from the gearstick surround the rest (stick, linkage, gearbox) is the same on LHD/RHD cars. Going to check it out next week and see if I can see the cables in there and either use some insulating material or tie them lightly.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Have a similar noise, but not constant. Removed glovebox and everything around, behind it, as that's where the sound comes but it didn't stop. Also remove the wiper plastics and wipers and run it around (while the rest where off) and I still got the rattle. Mostly it's when the road is anomalous or over humps..
You've definitely got the same noise as me, same place, same type of noise. I read somewhere that someone had their dash out do it was a loose airbag mount that was making the occasional knocking.

I've pretty much given up on it and started just playing the stereo fairly loud when driving around town.

Reactions: xenkof

·
Registered
229 Posts
You've definitely got the same noise as me, same place, same type of noise. I read somewhere that someone had their dash out do it was a loose airbag mount that was making the occasional knocking.

I've pretty much given up on it and started just playing the stereo fairly loud when driving around town.
Went and installed a nice stereo and speakers for this, but occasionally it drives me crazy.
I´ll check both the locations since the gear cables seem simple enough. The airbag mount not so much as I´ll have to check if it´s accessible above the glove box.
Fun times ahead !!!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I took the glovebox out and had a good rummage around (with battery off just in case i touched an airbag cable). Couldn't feel anything loose.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I took the glovebox out and had a good rummage around (with battery off just in case intouchban airbag cable). Could feel anything loose.
Did you have a look at the underbonnet expansion bottle? Think I'll wedge this up next and go for a drive.

The first poster on this rattle seems to be saying the gearbox cables buzz at 3000 RPM rather than our rattle over bumps (unless he has more information?)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Do you mean the coolant bottle OE? I've been right through the engine bay a few times, everything is secure. I've had the windscreen cowling off a few times too, retaped and mastiked all the windscreen clips, put new fir tree fixings in and checked for any loose fixings. nada. The last thing I can personally do is take the centre console out, but I doubt I'll be able to get my as far as the bulkhead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you mean the coolant bottle OE? I've been right through the engine bay a few times, everything is secure. I've had the windscreen cowling off a few times too, retaped and mastiked all the windscreen clips, put new fir tree fixings in and checked for any loose fixings. nada. The last thing I can personally do is take the centre console out, but I doubt I'll be able to get my as far as the bulkhead.
I sit in the car on the left side, this is the driver s side, look at the center console and take apart the its left cover, the one you don t need tools, just pull it, then you have to put he side carped down, the carpet that sits vertically (Up), the gearbox cables are near your right side of your right leg, basically you have to get under de navigation, and in front of the gear knob. before putting the carpet down , or pulling it you have to dismount its 2 fixings. It s very simple 1 min to get to the cables, i didn t change them a put some fixings keeping them in tension so the metal cable inside them won t hit their protections. the area is kind of soundproff and the sound heard it came from the dashboard and then under it. first time i heard them only when the car was moving, but then it became obvious when the car was stationary at 3050 rpm 3100-ish. you have to accelerate the car at a certain rpm and hold the cables with your hand and pull them and see if the sound stops. I ve been searching for this sound for like 2 yers. Sry for bad english. Look i found a picture

Attachments

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I don't think this is my rattle. I don't get a resonance at 3000 RPM. It's just a tap/rattle of hard plastic.

However, I did look at the expansion bottle yesterday and jammed foam behind it. Giving the top a thump seemed to create the same dash rattle. There was also a secondary rattle in the scuttle. This was mainly the (hard) rubber at the top which seals the engine bay when the bonnet is closed against it. I reasoned this would not rattle when the bonnet is closed against it. But the hard plastic scuttle cover behind it was rattling. It's in two parts (LH & RH) so I put a better bung in the middle trim fixing.

The result? No improvement

·
Registered
151 Posts
The rattle some of you are talking about - have you checked the lower trailing edge of the wheel arch liner where it slots into the metal surround at the lower edge of the front wing, behind the wheel where it meets where the side skirts would fit (on a TI) ?

This can exhibit a little movement and makes an annoying hard plasticky rattle at certain speeds and over certain surfaces. The fix for me was to add a small amount of black foam padding in the slot to stop the plastic liner from moving.

Fitting front mudflaps might also fix it but I never did this on mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts