Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning gents.

I've recently noticed a rattle....sounds like a cross between a noisy injector and a noisy tappet sound. Only happens on cold start in the morning. Rises and falls with revs. It's from the cambelt end :eek:, but lasts for no more than 30 seconds. Belts, tensioners, the lot, were replaced 3 years/6,000(ish) miles ago. I had initial concerns about the variator, but this would display the sound constantly wouldn't it??

There is nothing else what so ever to indicate an issue...no rubbing noises, no burning rubber smell etc.

Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
GTA doesn't have a variator mate :) Only a TS/JTS/GM v6 thing. It is probably a weak lifter/bucket which has drained of oil and has to refill when the engine is turned over. This isn't helped by the fact yours stands quite a lot :( Other thing that I can think of is the oil pump chain. I believe they are known to wear on the 3.0 166's quite badly( Don't know why just them but I've seen several posts about them only) so I would assume it is possible on yours as we all have the same engine. Rattle on start up was a sign :(

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply buddy. Everyday is a learning day....no variator on the BUSSO :thumbs:

It does very much sound like a tappet sound, so as you say it could be a 'lifter' starved of oil on start up. This was the theory I was originally working on, factoring in the lack of use. If it is this, it doesn't sound too serious....,I don't suppose there is much I can do to remedy the problem which wouldn't involve a top end strip??

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be something simple like a exhaust gasket or heatshield? Where do you get your car serviced?
I do general servicing/whatever needs doing that I am capable of myself. Certainly coming from the top of the engine....more tappety sounding than anything else. Cheers for the input though matey :thumbs:

didn't that used to be called "piston slap" back when I started driving ? :lol:
Quite possibly :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Cheers for the reply buddy. Everyday is a learning day....no variator on the BUSSO :thumbs:

It does very much sound like a tappet sound, so as you say it could be a 'lifter' starved of oil on start up. This was the theory I was originally working on, factoring in the lack of use. If it is this, it doesn't sound too serious....,I don't suppose there is much I can do to remedy the problem which wouldn't involve a top end strip??
I'd say that then mate as I know you keep it tip top with servicing so wear is unlikely. The lifters/buckets sound naff on the 24v busso anyway IMO. Open the bonnet and it's all tappa tappa tappa. My 3.0 164 12v never did it but then again it was shimmed :cool: Yep cams out are the only way to do it so if you are then you might as well do all 24 :) If I had just done a belt service I'd consider it as all you'd need is the price of a belt and the lifters if you were doing it yourself. Other wise its a whole cambelt kit to do if the belt was done a while ago so might as well wait until it's due. There are engine treatments from companies like whynns etc which help. Stopped my ts tappet rattle for a bit.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say that then mate as I know you keep it tip top with servicing so wear is unlikely. The lifters/buckets sound naff on the 24v busso anyway IMO. Open the bonnet and it's all tappa tappa tappa. My 3.0 164 12v never did it but then again it was shimmed :cool: Yep cams out are the only way to do it so if you are then you might as well do all 24 :) If I had just done a belt service I'd consider it as all you'd need is the price of a belt and the lifters if you were doing it yourself. Other wise its a whole cambelt kit to do if the belt was done a while ago so might as well wait until it's due. There are engine treatments from companies like whynns etc which help. Stopped my ts tappet rattle for a bit.
Cheers again Joss. I'll live with it for now bearing in mind my limited mileage. I'll keep an eye, or 'ear' on the issue to monitor any change. I may look into some engine treatments too....you know me, I like her to be 'just so'.:D

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
no worries. I like mine to be just so....but with a broken alternator and tatty body I'm not over the moon with myself currently :(

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn well check the sparkplugs are tight! sounds like mine did.
I replaced them last February and they are 'tight enough', and the engine is fine about 30 seconds after the initial cold start. Admittidly, a loose spark plug may quieten down once the head has heated up, and thus expanded a little, but I'm confident this isn't the issue, but thankyou for your reply mate :thumbs:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd recommend you check it, just to be sure.
I guess it couldn't hurt...........an excuse to get the spanners out :thumbs:

I must admit that you have got me intreagued now, I vaguely remember your thread, any chance of a linky back to it ?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Si. Yours made the noise all the time. 4ms is only on start up. The head won't warm that quickly.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Ah i see. Well worth a check on 4ms part then :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good morning gents.

I've recently noticed a rattle....sounds like a cross between a noisy injector and a noisy tappet sound. Only happens on cold start in the morning. Rises and falls with revs. It's from the cambelt end :eek:, but lasts for no more than 30 seconds. Belts, tensioners, the lot, were replaced 3 years/6,000(ish) miles ago. I had initial concerns about the variator, but this would display the sound constantly wouldn't it??

There is nothing else what so ever to indicate an issue...no rubbing noises, no burning rubber smell etc.

Any ideas??
I had a tapping from cold last year - was very loud and lasted a bit longer than 30secs but would stop once warmed up, again coming from the belt side.

Garage diagnosed the Aux Belt tensioner as the issue - changed the belt etc and sorted the problem.

May be worth a punt?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts