Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stretch of road by my house which might aswell be the mira test track. Just brought a 10 plate mito which rattles like you wouldn't believe. Take my giulietta down there smooth as you like any ideas. Lifted it up took wheels off nothing loose down below did find new discs pads calipers and handbrake cable though bonus! but the Rattle still there

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you checked the back silencer? Outer metal sheet skin may have peeled a bit due to corrosion.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I find that my Mito is far noiser than say my wife's car, is your rattling with windows down (I had a loose centre cap that at slow speeds in the spider with the roof down, use to bug me) on a previous renault it was something in the spare wheel well.

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Super, Gtv 6 Phase 1 (916), Alfa Mito QV
72 Posts
Could be the heat shied above the rear silencer. The aluminium sheet is corroding around the "attachment" washers, so the shield sits on top of the silencer...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be worn shock mountings?
Now then what size is the torx socket for what looks like steel bolts in a aluminium plate. After nearly ten years well and truly stuck I think
I find that my Mito is far noiser than say my wife's car, is your rattling with windows down (I had a loose centre cap that at slow speeds in the spider with the roof down, use to bug me) on a previous renault it was something in the spare wheel well.
I'll keep trying things I'm going to take out the parcel shelf and spare wheel and see what that does.
Could be the heat shied above the rear silencer. The aluminium sheet is corroding around the "attachment" washers, so the shield sits on top of the silencer...
Good call I'll check that in the morning

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you sort out your case?
Hi I found some milk bottle caps holding up the heat shield above the silencer. I've replaced them but I also found a rotten exhaust connector. I'm waiting for a new one from the bay. I'll find out more when I get that sorted but I've been everywhere with my prybar nothing odd yet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi I found some milk bottle caps holding up the heat shield above the silencer. I've replaced them but I also found a rotten exhaust connector. I'm waiting for a new one from the bay. I'll find out more when I get that sorted but I've been everywhere with my prybar nothing odd yet
[/QUOTE
after replacing the exhaust sleeve between the back box and the centre section went for another spin. still got the same rattle. so it's either the suspension top mounts or the exhaust knocking on the under frame. to be honest there wasn't a hanger in the middle so they a relying on the hanger at the front and the back box ones. should there be a hanger half way down?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts