Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has developed a rattle that appears to be coming from gearbox.

When it first appeared I assumed it was a exhaust heatshield as I had put a temp fix in a couple of weeks back, but when I got the car on the ramps they were all solid.
Whilst under the car I noticed the drivers side outer cv boot had a small nick in it so booked it in to the garage to sort that and for them to check out the rattle.

They thought it would be easy to identify the source of the rattle as I said it appeared to be speed/rev related.
On calling to get an update I have been told they think it is internal to the gearbox.
They have had the stethoscope on the gearbox whilst spinning the wheels whilst on a ramp.

They are going to drop diff housing to try and pin point whether it is diff or gearbox.

So what is the forums thoughts?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have included in the original post that a quaife diff was fitted along with new clutch just about 1000 miles ago at start of May.
There was no gear selection issues and rattle has only just developed, it wasnt there straight away after install. I thought it possibly came and went on cornering but not sure if that was just my mind.

not sure what I am hoping for it to be, i only installed the quaife as the clutch was getting replaced. I had never been bothered about the "upgrade".

·
Registered
597 Posts
Could be the clutch bearing. Could have been faulty.

Never known of a quaife to fail. They have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Does it go away if you push the clutch pedal all the way the down?. If so then probably clutch bearings as Gta mentioned same symptoms as my saloon.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update.
on closer inspection the rattle was found not to be in the gearbox but closer to my initial thoughts of it being exhaust based.
rear bank manifold gaskets replaced and I now have a quiet car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts