Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could've sworn I read a thread on this recently but can't find it. Got this annoying rattle coming fromthe dash, it's from directly infront of me like behind the wheel or in the clock consol. Not sure quite where, so I've come here to see if anyone else has had this and if thet've fixed it? Please help, or within a few weeks it will have driven me mad :mad:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I thought this was a known problem, I'd swear I'd heard of it before, but after a search I can't find anything.

More results came up for the 156 lounge, so maybe do a search in there, might be the same problem.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had the same problem but for some reason it just went away after a few weeks. Sorry i know it doesnt help you in anyway.:)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You'll probably need to tighten some things behind the dash. I removed my dash a while ago. I tightened up all the bolts and cross-members and carefully refitted and now have a much quieter, less rattly, less creaky interior. It takes some time, but there is nothing fundamentally difficult about it. There's a thread with pics on the other forum.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm looked in the 156 area and there seems to be a whole bunch of things it could be.

You'll probably need to tighten some things behind the dash. I removed my dash a while ago. I tightened up all the bolts and cross-members and carefully refitted and now have a much quieter, less rattly, less creaky interior. It takes some time, but there is nothing fundamentally difficult about it. There's a thread with pics on the other forum.
That looks like a big job to me lol. Doubt I'd have the patience nor indeed the time to do that, which is unfortunate. I think I'll have to take a passenger out with me to help find where it's coming from, as it's pretty difficult feeling all round the dashboard trying to prod things to see if the noise goes away, whilst trying to drive.

Or just turn the stereo up :eek:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I remember reading something about this too - wasn't the solution removing the two square caps at the far edge of the dashboard - where it meets the windscreen and adjusting the screws hidden underneath? It seemed so odd to me that I remembered it. Or have I just imagined this?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember reading something about this too - wasn't the solution removing the two square caps at the far edge of the dashboard - where it meets the windscreen and adjusting the screws hidden underneath? It seemed so odd to me that I remembered it. Or have I just imagined this?
I have no idea, but I'll give it a go! I don't have my car with me at the moment, but are these caps on top of the dash or on the side?

Also does everyone elses GTV make different and/or new rattling noises every time the drive it? :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
I seem to have a rattle coming from behind the passenger airbag. It is something I will get round to looking at, one day!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have no idea, but I'll give it a go! I don't have my car with me at the moment, but are these caps on top of the dash or on the side?

Also does everyone elses GTV make different and/or new rattling noises every time the drive it? :(
They are on top of the dash. Still, worth a try as it is a lot less hassle than removing the dash. It might just tighten things up enough and save your sanity!

My GTV has started a squeak from the back seat squab. Very irritating. Maybe the seat is bored of never seeing any use and is reminding me of it's presence.:lol:

·
Registered
285 Posts
does anyone have a noise that sounds like a ball bearing in a door pocket? I think its the fuel cut off valve but am not 100% sure! bloody annoying though!

R

·
0 Posts
Ive got an intermitent squeek from the rear wheel, a terrible squeek from the rear bushes (I think) when its a dry day and a clicking coming from behind the steering wheel....just cant beat it can you :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
does anyone have a noise that sounds like a ball bearing in a door pocket? I think its the fuel cut off valve but am not 100% sure! bloody annoying though!
Do a search, I think that noise is coming from the seat runners, a few have talked of a ball-bearing sound on here before.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ive got an intermitent squeek from the rear wheel, a terrible squeek from the rear bushes (I think) when its a dry day and a clicking coming from behind the steering wheel....just cant beat it can you :)
You've got to love the Alfas! :lol:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Do a search, I think that noise is coming from the seat runners, a few have talked of a ball-bearing sound on here before.
It's part of the seat belt pre-tensioner system. On some cars (mine included) you hear this noise on acceleration or braking. The car measures the time it takes for the ball bearing to reach the other end of its travel in order to determine the severity of a collision. The noise doesn't mean it's broken, and since it's barely audible, it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are on top of the dash. Still, worth a try as it is a lot less hassle than removing the dash. It might just tighten things up enough and save your sanity!

My GTV has started a squeak from the back seat squab. Very irritating. Maybe the seat is bored of never seeing any use and is reminding me of it's presence.:lol:
I lifted one of those up to have a look, and couldn't see any screws that could've been tightened up :confused:

It's something to do with the seatbelts, the pretensioners I think. Whatever it is, I think the only way to solve it is to buy new seat belt mechanisms which would be more trouble that it's worth.

·
Registered
418 Posts
One way to fix door creaks is remove the black block and metal plate behind it that locks against your bolt. (Small 2 inch black block on your door) Coat the front and back of the metal plate with electrical tape cut to size (and clean off any rust from the door). Now comes the magic:

When you put it back don't screw it on tight, but very loose, so it just doesn't slip. Now throw closed your door. It should take the optimum shape. Carefully open the door and tighten it. This will make it take exactly the right position for your car and door and reduces rattleing alot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rob, did you ever sort out the rattle from your dash? I've had a really annoying vibration/buzz from the driver side of the dash on my gtv for a couple of weeks now and would love to know what's causing it. I only get it between 1000 and 1500 rpm though. Properly, properly annoying - really loud and getting louder. Did you have to take the whole dash off to sort it? Cheers, Will.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Will, no I never sorted, kind of got used to it. Mine isn't rev related, it just happens over bumpy roads (ie. all roads in the Midlands). It's got a bit worse recently, and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the instrument panel behinf the steering wheel, I'll post up if I ever get round to looking at it, but to be honest I'll probably just live with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK, so finally got soooooo annoyed with the noise I took it to my local alfa indie to look over... turns out the problem wasn't anything to do with the dash - the cowboy so-called 'alfa enthusiast' used dealer I bought it off (mentioning no names of course) somehow didn't manage to spot the fact that three of the four bolts that were supposed to be holding the AC compressor/pump mount in place and one of the bolts that was supposed to fix the compressor to the mount were missing and the whole set-up was progressively working itself free. He reckoned one or two more days and it would have fallen straight out of the bottom of the engine bay! Admittedly I didn't spot it either, but then I'd never have put it down to that given what it sounded like..Reason i could hear it through the dash was because it was sending vibrations up through all the air tubes which were effectively amplifying it and piping it into the cabin! Grrrrrrrr. At least it's sorted though - can't imagine anyone's going to suffer a problem exactly like that, but if you start hearing a noise like a giant ruler being 'twanged' somewhere behind the dash at between 1000 and 1500 revs, this could be the problem.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I think I have a budgie hiding in my rear offside wheelarch............ and I have an intermittent creaking sort of noise someplace around the drivers door.......... It comes and it goes.

But........ "Deff Leppard - Pour some sugar on me (very loud)" seems to send the budgie to sleep and the creaking noise just goes away....... Quite amazing !!!!

Cheers to All
Peter

1 - 20 of 20 Posts