Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an annoying rattle from behind the tachometer (I think) ever since winter started. It is definitely worse when the air temperature is cold so I guess something is expanding and contracting.

I have taken the dial surround out but cannot find the source of the rattle. The few screws that I can reach through the hole are tight and I cannot stop the rattle by gripping any particular part of the dashboard insides.

The car is going in for it's 36k service next week - any ideas as to what I can ask them to tighten ? It's a long drive to the garage so it will almost certainly not be doing it much by the time I get there so they won't get to hear it ....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The accoustics in a car are weird - rattles that sounded like they came from the dash turned out to be from the rear view mirror and headlining in my 147 and 156. Try driving round with a passenger prodding things to find the source.
Cheers,
Simon_S

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you're saying Simon, but when I covered the dials with a towel the sound got muffled so I'm pretty sure it's coming from there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi, I have a squicking problem too in my 147. But mine appears and dissapers once or twice a week and I'm sure is coming from the right side of the dashboard where the air vent and passanger airbag and deposit compartment (I have the wheel on the left, I'm not living in UK...:)). Is a sound made by some plastic part and is like something is in friction with another part or banging aginst something. Anyway I'm pretty sure is not from the mechanics of the car but from some part in the dashboard. But as I said it appears and in the next morning is gone....and gone for 2-3 days...then it reappers
Did somebody else had this issue?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I also have this noise. I tracked it to the heater vent. I have a right hand drive here in the UK.

I opened up the flap under the wheel where the fuses are and also took out the round heater vent from the dash board. When I press on the heater duct the noise stops.

There is a join from the ducting inside the dash to the duct that comes out the dash to the vent. I have tried reaching inside through the fuse box area to secure the heating duct but I'm unable to find a way. I'm going to try some duct tape and fasten the parts together. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I had a rattling noise that I had assumed was behind the dials or centre air-con vents, turned out to be a loose screw on the cover underneath the steering wheel which the dealer had removed previously to check a fuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts