Alfa Romeo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
@ epsonix, wow that's horrible! I don't understand why people ignore recommended oil specs. Obviously they have a reason!

About your question considering flushing the engine. Have you done this? And do you notice any improvement?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think this is not because just wrong oil.
There was something else to do.
Maybe some additives or lack of maintenance.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
About your question considering flushing the engine. Have you done this? And do you notice any improvement?
I flushed TBi engine twice at 50kkm and 63kkm, at every oil change I did as far owning the car. Main reason to clean engine from possible deposits which could already built up because previous owner did oil changes IMO to rarely at 21kkm, 35kkm and 44kkm (especially first one), and unfortunatelly used rather poor Selenia Star PE oil.
In my wife's Giulietta 1.4 I also used engine flush at all oil change we did as far (5.5kkm, 12.5kkm), and soon will be changing oil, and again will do flush.
I treat flushing as preventive action, hard to say if it does any improvement, but cleaner inner of engine is likely better than allow dirt build up. I follow what some other polish forum members do.

I tried engine starting without ignition about 5 sec. Thereafter starting engine in normally (with sparks) the rattle noise present more shorter. 5 sec. vs. 0,5 sec
The oil drained if the car standing for a long time.
yeah, looks to me like it is about oil pressure or flow - as I said some time ago earlier, the guy on polish forum had no proper seal around oil pump and had issues with diesel-like sound of TBI at start and occasionally oil pressure warning light popping up

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah, looks to me like it is about oil pressure or flow - as I said some time ago earlier, the guy on polish forum had no proper seal around oil pump and had issues with diesel-like sound of TBI at start and occasionally oil pressure warning light popping up
I removed the oil sump, replaced the sealing ring (71754365) as 2.0 JTDm before, it did not help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Does any one have a schematic of the oil system on the TBI? Difficult to troubleshoot not knowing how the system is designed.

I have the same noise when the engine has been sitting for a few days.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39,617 Posts
@shadin 10W60 oil in TBi? that is far from recommended spec. Why such was used? Have you changed already to 5W40? Have you flushed (or are you planning to flush) engine before oil change? Just today I seen pictures of opened 3.2JTS engine, which was working very badly, could not get to high rpms etc- its history was also 10W60 (instead of 5W40) for some reason (new owner didn't have a clue why previous used such) - it was not nicely looking inside of engine:
http://www.forum.alfaholicy.org/zalacznik/159_brera_brera_spider/230184d1497600546-alfa_159_3_2_jts_silnik_niewlasciwie_pracuje-20170609_162019.jpg
That is black sludge caused by broken down oil and the additives in the oil.

The Old Selenia 20K caused this issue on one of my TS engined cars when left for the 12,000 mile service intervals. (I know it was 20K as the car had been serviced with it religiously through its life)

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
So i have two problem. Firstly I have a wrong "VVT" toothed disc that is not locking in zero position because the locking pin spring broken. This cause much louder rattle sound at starting. Like TS.

https://goo.gl/photos/jC1jzRNMGZUYc9sX9

And i have a rattle noise like as the video at firs page. This is a gentle noise rather than first one.
For now I have completely new cleaned engine, if i change the VVT ring in suction side, only the oil pump must be defective...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
@ Shadin, have you already checked the spark plug wells? They can fill up with oil, contaminating the spark plugs, causing misfire. Mine has been cured from starting rattle after I cleaned the wells (Sucked leaked oil out first) and replacing spark plugs after this.

(BTW, thanks for the link with pictures and films!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
@ Shadin, have you already checked the spark plug wells? They can fill up with oil, contaminating the spark plugs, causing misfire. Mine has been cured from starting rattle after I cleaned the wells (Sucked leaked oil out first) and replacing spark plugs after this.

(BTW, thanks for the link with pictures and films!)
Sparks hole oil filling already repaired few month ago with new glue on valve cover. Sparks replaced too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Still noise

Hi again!

I still have rattle noise at startup after oil pump has replaced and oil changed :)
The noise is half as much with the pump replaced.
Any idea?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
:scratchchin::yikes::eek::vs_shocked: My God, these are not the stories I need to hear!!
Am I doing the right thing in considering buying a 1750?:thinking::thinking:

·
Registered
39,617 Posts
Sounds a bit like the the timing variator rattle that the old Twinspark engines used to suffer with.

·
Vendor
46,826 Posts
Sounds a bit like the the timing variator rattle that the old Twinspark engines used to suffer with.
Thats what I was thinking.. The 1750 has a variator on each cam too.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hi again!

I still have rattle noise at startup after oil pump has replaced and oil changed :)
The noise is half as much with the pump replaced.
Any idea?

https://youtu.be/zLarkEuPVLY

Thank you!
at least you say it is half (time?)of what was before.

did you change all gaskets? if i remember correctly guys on alfaholicy.org changed them as well, cant remember if there was 1 or 2 gaskets.

dud you check oil level on stick rather telying on sensor? owner manuals are confusing, depends on date/language they advised 4.2 4.6 or 5l of oil,where according to eper there was never any modification of oil sump etc. my experience is that when i let oil sink for long, 5l is never enough, i fit atound 5.3lo get to max.
checking oil level with stick on tbi is bit tricky as stick guide us dirty with oil. i put stick in a few times (but not to the end, say 3cm less) remove wipe reoeat a few time,all to clean yhe guide, and then do to the end and check oil level.
sti

·
Registered
39 Posts
at least you say it is half (time?)of what was before.

did you change all gaskets? if i remember correctly guys on alfaholicy.org changed them as well, cant remember if there was 1 or 2 gaskets.

dud you check oil level on stick rather telying on sensor? owner manuals are confusing, depends on date/language they advised 4.2 4.6 or 5l of oil,where according to eper there was never any modification of oil sump etc. my experience is that when i let oil sink for long, 5l is never enough, i fit atound 5.3lo get to max.
checking oil level with stick on tbi is bit tricky as stick guide us dirty with oil. i put stick in a few times (but not to the end, say 3cm less) remove wipe reoeat a few time,all to clean yhe guide, and then do to the end and check oil level.
sti
I try to everything :-( More type of oil and level, changing timing variator and its hydraulic valve and the oil pump with all gaskets.
The bad variators have continuous rattle noise, this is moderate noise and it will not be heard at the next startup.
After the oil pump replacement, the noise is only half as long, but still present.

With old oil pump:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Em7HH8BjhtOtv9m22

And with new one:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2vr25zgVbJFGvw4f1

And this is the timing variator error:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WXaFdCmg06SgbCAq1

Maybe one or more hydraulic tappet cause this noise because oil leaking :-(

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
i'm not any expert, couldn't help more than passing what I read somewhere on polish forum re similar problem. 2s noise is not that bad like earlier 5s, but it shoudl not be there at all. Hope you find root cause and get it sorted out soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I try to everything :-( More type of oil and level, changing timing variator and its hydraulic valve and the oil pump with all gaskets.
The bad variators have continuous rattle noise, this is moderate noise and it will not be heard at the next startup.
After the oil pump replacement, the noise is only half as long, but still present.

I know it's been a while since the last post here, but I'm having similar noise at cold startup (though a lot shorter, ~1sec.), 2014 GQV. The mechanic found that one of the variator is stuck, and after seeing your photos my guess is that the plastic spring retainer (of the lock pin) broke down. Did you replace the variator or just fixed this plastic pin? Did it work and for how long?
Also did you finally find the cause for the rest of rattle noise?

·
Registered
39 Posts

I know it's been a while since the last post here, but I'm having similar noise at cold startup (though a lot shorter, ~1sec.), 2014 GQV. The mechanic found that one of the variator is stuck, and after seeing your photos my guess is that the plastic spring retainer (of the lock pin) broke down. Did you replace the variator or just fixed this plastic pin? Did it work and for how long?
Also did you finally find the cause for the rest of rattle noise?
Hi!

Cold start noise still prezent. I don't replace variators, I made plastic locking pin and replaced just that.
I plan to buy a variator, or two but so expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
41 - 60 of 108 Posts