Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inadvertently drove over a blasted pot hole a few weeks ago and ever since my beautiful Alfa 159 has inherited a dreaded rattle.

It's emanating from the front passenger side and it sounds as though it’s coming from somewhere around the suspension and although the rattle doesn't appear to have affected the handling of the car in any way I'm worried that something is about to drop off.

Has anybody got any ideas as to what this could be? I know it's a shot in the dark but any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm hoping it’s something simple that just needs clipping back on or tightening up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine does this and it's in the garage on Saturday to be sorted. I think it's a loose weathering panel to be honest. But under dealer warranty so they can fix

·
Registered
204 Posts
Could be top wishbone bushes. But if it's under warantee I don't suppose you'r really bothered as long as they fix it.:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Possibly the wheelarch plastic cover ... mine rattles until I wedge some carboard between the wheelarch liner and body of the car ... some previous threads on here about it .. stops my front side passenger rattle

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately my Alfa's warranty has now expired. My car is due a service next month so I'm going to throw these suggestions in for the mechanic to have a look at.

Tomoney, let me know how you get on. I hope it gets sorted you you. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi

Update garage has admitted there is a rattle but they can't find the cure yet. I will update hopefully with the cure but at least they admit te isue

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the update Tomoney, I hope it gets sorted for you. I've booked mine in for a service on the 17th Feb and whilst booking it in I have asked if they could have a look and try and find where these annoying rattles are coming from.

It's amazing how rattles can really ruin your enjoyment of driving a car...particularly one that is as beautiful as the Alfa 159 ti!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I had a rattle coming from a loose mudflap. It's only attached by such metal clips and one got off when I used high pressure water WAP to clean it. However it started only above certain speed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's sorted now
Service chap said it was a suspension top but the mechanic was not in to fully explain the fault. Issue is resolved for me now

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well unfortunately Mangoletsi were unable to identify this rattle coming from the front passengers side. This is getting really frustrating now :(

Thing is when one of the lads took it out to try and hear it the roads around there are in quite good condition and you only really hear the rattle when you start going (not intentionally) over a few pot holes and not even severe ones at that.

Can anybody recommend me a garage that may be able to give it a more thorough inspection?

To be honest, I'm getting a bit disheartened with my 159ti now as it's seems to be developing more rattles each month. I have another rattle coming from the rear...it almost sounds like the rear windscreen is rattling. They had a look a that and I was told they think its because there is a rubber seal missing off one of the plastic prongs that is on the boot lid but I'm not entirely convinced.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Rattles are one of those things that are extremely hard to diagnose

It's taken me 4 visits to Allam's for them to decide to replace the entire shock absorber on my passenger side

Luckily it's under warranty so i can just throw the car back at them if it doesn't fix it :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unbelieavable! I took it to a local garage and without notifying me they have taken off the undertray and in the process have more or less ruined each and every bolt as the guy said they just kept spinning round as he was trying to either tighten them up or loosen them off so decided to prise them off!! :( And now has told me he cant fit it back on without re-drilling new holes for the bolts!

My beautiful 159ti no longer has an undertray.

Not happy at all!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Drove 50 miles to the airport without any problems. Parked for 20 minutes but the minute I drove off, I heard an almighty rattle from the front passenger wheel. Rattled like blazes while accelerating in lower gears but quiet when cruising or freewheeling. Similar in sound to a hammer drill on a wall. I have to go back to airport tomorrow but not sure how safe it's going to be.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I now have a rattling/knocking from the front left and the rear arb drop links are new so to the garage it goes. Have a feeling it may be the upper wishbone :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well mine eventually got sorted, it was nothing to do with the undertray. It was a part called "folding arm" which had to be specifically ordered from Mangoletsi. A part on the old folding arm had movement in it when it shouldn't and with a 1 tonne engine it was creating the rattle. Since it has been replaced by Alfa 159 is back to it's silent self...thank God!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts