Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived home last night to see a worrying looking patch on the drive where I park the car, popped the bonnet and could see fuel dripping from the filter.

Not the end of the world, I keep an eye out for service parts in between services and have a filter handy. When removing the connector for the 'water in fuel' sensor the little spring clip flew off never to be seen again. :furious:

The elearn process says to put the filter assembly in a vice to remove the sensor, dear God, how tight could it be? Undid it easily with just my hands which of course caused diesel to start coming out, so nipped it back up and snapped the bl00dy thing off in the filter. :furious:

Not having a good day here, looking at about £50 for a new one, have picked up a used one for a tenner off ebay with the clip.

Have temp left the plastic blank in the bottom of the filter, turned the ignition on and off a few times to prime the fuel system and it started fine, no obvious leaks, stuck my head underneath to see if I could see anything and heard a bit of a rattle. Not too concerned as it sounded very much like the aluminium undertray, have to nip up the rear bolts from time to time, but no, wasn't that. Maybe exhaust or heatsheild. So off with the undertray, disaster, coming from inside the bell housing, either clutch release bearing or DMF as the rattle goes when the clutch is depressed. :depressed:

Well, the DMF is original and has now done over 150k miles so not so bad I suppose, clutch has done a good 100k miles.

Considering a solid flywheel conversion, need to save some pennies, just hope it doesn't leave me on the side of the road till I'm in a position to do it.

What a day!

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Arrived home last night to see a worrying looking patch on the drive where I park the car, popped the bonnet and could see fuel dripping from the filter.

Not the end of the world, I keep an eye out for service parts in between services and have a filter handy. When removing the connector for the 'water in fuel' sensor the little spring clip flew off never to be seen again. :furious:

The elearn process says to put the filter assembly in a vice to remove the sensor, dear God, how tight could it be? Undid it easily with just my hands which of course caused diesel to start coming out, so nipped it back up and snapped the bl00dy thing off in the filter. :furious:

Not having a good day here, looking at about £50 for a new one, have picked up a used one for a tenner off ebay with the clip.

Have temp left the plastic blank in the bottom of the filter, turned the ignition on and off a few times to prime the fuel system and it started fine, no obvious leaks, stuck my head underneath to see if I could see anything and heard a bit of a rattle. Not too concerned as it sounded very much like the aluminium undertray, have to nip up the rear bolts from time to time, but no, wasn't that. Maybe exhaust or heatsheild. So off with the undertray, disaster, coming from inside the bell housing, either clutch release bearing or DMF as the rattle goes when the clutch is depressed. :depressed:

Well, the DMF is original and has now done over 150k miles so not so bad I suppose, clutch has done a good 100k miles.

Considering a solid flywheel conversion, need to save some pennies, just hope it doesn't leave me on the side of the road till I'm in a position to do it.

What a day!

All the best

Pub
Done the exact same myself...

Or at least I managed to crack that sensor when re-fitting it, didn't notice the crack, went about my drive to work the next day only for the engine to conk out in the middle lane of the M5, when it finally let go and dumped all my fuel on the road :censored:

Recovery truck dropped me down to Loz's, where he unswcrewed the sensor to check the O-ring (looked fine at this point, but soaking in fuel), and it fell apart when he put it back in... I must have cracked it when originally fitting, because the electrical connector and loom were saturated in fuel!

Drove around for about a week with the white plastic blank/bung in place until my £15 spare turned up from eBay too :thumbup:

Good luck with the DMF... fingers crossed it's one of those that just keeps rattling for tens of thousands of miles before it goes kaput!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
There is no error message generated from that fuel sensor. I broke mine years ago, wrapped it up and tuck it behind power steering reservoir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Pub..

I am about to do a smf and GTA clutch conversion.

My stage one clutch and DMF have less than 15k on them..can you hold out a few weeks ? I am sure we can sort something for cheap on my "old" parts

All money towards my conversion so if it will help you out. ?

Cheers

Joe

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pub..

I am about to do a smf and GTA clutch conversion.

My stage one clutch and DMF have less than 15k on them..can you hold out a few weeks ? I am sure we can sort something for cheap on my "old" parts
Very kind of you although I don't think I'll take you up on that thoughtful offer. I'm more inclined to go for the SMF conversion myself. I believe it's a PITA to get the release bearing off the pressure plate needed to refit.

I'm looking at CG's SMF and dual friction clutch kit, but at a tad over £600 it'll have to wait, luckily I have the tools, space and a willing assistant. Don't like the sound of their caveat though.....

You may experience some harmonically transmitted noises when installing this kit. These noises are completely normal and do not affect the running or longevity of the clutch, flywheel or any other part on the vehicle. This flywheel can and will produce harmonic transmitted noises, this is dependant on if the vehicle has a flywheel bearing fitted. This type of noise is normal and acceptable but will vary from vehicle to vehicle. Most of these noises are covered up by the dual mass flywheel and are extremely difficult to hide when running a single mass. These noises do not in any way affect the performance of the flywheel.

...I think a constant droning would p155 me off no end.

All the best

Pub

1 - 5 of 5 Posts