Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well basically the estate I park my lovely car on...has now decided they are going to put double yellow lines accross it.

This means that I now have to pay £600 + a year for parking on a trainee student salary...(Crap).

This year is turning out to be a bluddy crap one so far.

P

·
0 Posts
I don't quite understand. If there are going to be double yellows then no one can park on the estate. But you are being asked to pay £600 for a permit? Is that the gist of it?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't quite understand. If there are going to be double yellows then no one can park on the estate. But you are being asked to pay £600 for a permit? Is that the gist of it?
Not quite...there a parking area in town...unfortunatly it costs £600 upwards a year to park there.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thuis is not a criticism in any way but most students don't have £12k new cars and prefer to live on campus/local to their place of study.
Im a part time student there is no option to live on campus...besides that would cost me more money in travel.

My rant is about parking at work which has now gone from costing nothing to £600+ a year...its awfully frustrating.

P

·
0 Posts
Most people don't travel 60 miles a day to work on a students salary.
I'm not sure about that. I think a lot of folk will exist on a whole heck less than even that.

I take it public transport is out of the question?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure about that. I think a lot of folk will exist on a whole heck less than even that.

I take it public transport is out of the question?
I doubt they do...as there are limits on what people have to be paid.

Also most people wouldn't be willing to travel 60 miles on that sort of money.

Public transport take 2 and a bit hours so no its not really an option.

P

·
0 Posts
I know what it's like being a student and having to do the mileage. I used to commute to teacher training college, like you a 60 mile round trip, and fund it out of my £600 annual grant. I'm only talking about the mid-80s here - prices aren't that much different now. Unlike you I had a series of sub £100 cars to do the trip in.

The only way I managed to keep my head above water was to work my socks off in the holidays doing temping jobs.

Prior to this I worked in an office - I think I got £3000 a year and £1000 of that went on travel. It's a sad fact of life.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Bummer on the new parking regulations in your area, mrobins. :(

My first annual salary was £4,150. Back then, I ran a 1971 Mini Clubman (before such things were regarded as being classic cars, I hasten to add!!!)

[Gets all misty eyed and wistful about the old days] :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How can you plus one that comment:

For one im a part time student so dont live on campus.

Secondly I worked bluddy hard to have the money to buy my car:

Thridly it's a rant so its a moan about paying for parking...I dont want or care whether when you were a student you lived on this or that...times change get on with it.

N

·
0 Posts

Thridly it's a rant so its a moan about paying for parking...I dont want or care whether when you were a student you lived on this or that...times change get on with it.
I didn't mean any offence to you. Forums are for peoples views and that was mine.

When i was a part time student doing block release I had to travel to college from Grantham to other side of Notts (and as an apprentice i was paid very little and it all came out of my pocket). I worked blinking hard for my banger and to keep it in a roadworthy state.
Everyone else has to pay for petrol, parking, tube, train, etc to get to work. It's a sod that you now have to pay. I pay a tenner a day. But as you say get over it.... times change, councils now get easy money for parking.

I think we should agree to disagree.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

If you have a car then parking charges are generally a given at some point.

I suggest that you take your own advice and simply get on with it:)

G

·
0 Posts
Some people are having a slight dig at him as he has a nice car and is a student, but he has obviously worked hard to get it, these things dont just get handed out to you. I had the same grief when i was in college with a nice alfa and everybody else came on the bus (or got a lift off me) and they didnt seem to understand that i had to work my but off to get it.

And if they are painting lines where you usually park, there is always going to be a space thats free near where your uni is. You just have to look very hard for it ;)

1 - 20 of 96 Posts