Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Random Non-starting 156 JTD

844 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Lucka 
#1 · (Edited)
Morning guys,

Have had a search on the forums but can't seem to find anything on this one.

Week or so ago the other half got in the car, remote central locking working fine. Turn the key, and nothing. Not even a click from the starter motor, central locking not working, absolutely nothing. Battery voltage was OK, reading 12.8V. Got some jump leads on it anyway, and after 5 minutes, it was able to start fine, starter motor turning the engine over well.

Fast forward to this morning. I get in the car, starts strong, no problems. After about 15 mins of driving, stop at a shop and in the time it took to come back to the car (2 minutes, if that) the car had completely died with the same behaviour as before. Jump start sorted it, despite battery voltage OK.

Battery terminals are clean and tight, and I'm not getting any codes from Multi ECU Scan.

So gents, any ideas what this might be?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello Semtex ( wonderful stuff; super bangs!)

Similar symptoms occurred when the crank sensor failed on my other sportwagon; although 10 valve, I think the layout is the same. Held in with one torx bolt, on the firewall side of the engine block, connector is same side, higher up - fun getting to it! If memory serves, it is one fault the multiscan doesn't pick up, too!

Hope that helps
Cheerio
The Captain:thumbs:

#4 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I think I have found the issue, and it would explain why the jump starting worked previously(though not because it was adding power!)

Seems the culprit is the fusebox/terminal assembly that fits onto the positive terminal on the battery. Checked it was all secure again, but this time I heard a little bit or arcing and a tiny puff of smoke. Hmm, seems like I have a bit of an intermittent connection - by attaching the jump lead, this provided enough movement to make a connection, and so the car had power restored. Going to completely remove the fusebox from the battery and give it a thourough going over. If I can see any issues I'll post a couple of pics up, just in case anyone else has this in the future.

Will check the above items too, though I'm not so convinced by the crank sensor - is it possible that a failed sensor could cut off all power to the vehicle (everything dead)?

Cheers again :)

#6 ·
Sorry, Captain, with a failed crank sensor the engine will certainly turn over......never start, of course.:)

The Positive terminal clamp is a pretty weak affair, it must be said, particularly with the weight of the fusebox cantilevered off it, so its always worth checking that....as well as the engine/box earth mentioned before......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.