Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Liz and I went to Bath on Thursday and came back on Saturday- thats 400 miles. I knew I had to visit my aged mother in London today - another 200 mile round trip. That's a lot of driving for a old man and I was a bit knackered by the time I exited the South Circular onto the A2 and thence M25 Dartford tunnel on the way home.

I always have heaps of change in my car to pay for parking/toll charges etc. So I went for the outside lane entering the tunnel knowing I could just drop and go. No way. The car in front had Estonian plates and stopped in front of me, he put his hazards on, got out and walked towards me. He said "I am so sorry but can I use a card?" I said "No you must have cash".
He said "I have no money just a card". I gave him the £2 coins and said "use these it will get you through". He could not understand that it was a gift - he wanted my name and a way he could pay me back. I tried to explain - I don't want any money back but please - if you come across anyone in a similar situation just help them out.

So - a random act of kindness - you just do it because you can. Anyone else have similar tales?

C

·
0 Posts
Sorry Paul...He's probaly been doing this for years, and knows that if he does this in the wrong lane, he'll get through via the kindess of others.
Never, do you travel through a foreign country with No money whatsoever.
A bit like the one who approached me in my Transit at a services, I opened the window and he told me he was desperate for fuel and went on to offer me "gold" jewellery that he removed from his fingers in exchange for cash to buy fuel.I refused as I also don't fall for that old pony.
I'd like to believe I am wrong in your case, but experience tells me I'm not. Sorry Pal.

·
Premium Member
77,198 Posts
One NY eve I found a disabled chap sat on a doorstep (bladdered).......I walked about 2 miles with him to his house and made sure he was safe, then walked 3 miles home.

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Paul...He's probaly been doing this for years, and knows that if he does this in the wrong lane, he'll get through via the kindess of others.
Never, do you travel through a foreign country with No money whatsoever.
A bit like the one who approached me in my Transit at a services, I opened the window and he told me he was desperate for fuel and went on to offer me "gold" jewellery that he removed from his fingers in exchange for cash to buy fuel.I refused as I also don't fall for that old pony.
I'd like to believe I am wrong in your case, but experience tells me I'm not. Sorry Pal.
Hmm - so you turn up at the crossing and all you need is £2. Sorry but I cannot believe that someone would play such a game for so little. Maybe I am naive but for the sake of £2 what the hell, if you need to con me for such a small sum then your life must be a bit s*** surely?

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One NY eve I found a disabled chap sat on a doorstep (bladdered).......I walked about 2 miles with him to his house and made sure he was safe, then walked 3 miles home.
That's what I was after - well done that man.

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was behind a woman in a petrol station. Her bill was £15 - she had forgotten her purse so had stopped filling as soon as she realised and was in all sorts of discussion with the cashier.
I paid her £15 and, again, all I asked was that she do the same if she saw someone in a similar situation.
As I say - I believe in RAKs - I hope others here do too.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I've never done anything on the scale of paying for strangers fuel bills, but i've often handed over an unexpired parking ticket to someone at the pay and display.

i've helped elderly neighbours with their computer problems, shopping and stuff like that, but i dont think i've come across a situation yet, where i've ever made a massive difference to someone's life (out of work, that is), but i would like to feel i'd chip in if was able to do so.

i'm not religious, but if i was, i'd be somewhere between a bhuddist and a hindu: if karma does exist, i'm not worried about what comes around the corner.

RAK's are good for the soul :)

·
Premium Member
77,198 Posts
I was behind a woman in a petrol station. Her bill was £15 - she had forgotten her purse so had stopped filling as soon as she realised and was in all sorts of discussion with the cashier.
I paid her £15 and, again, all I asked was that she do the same if she saw someone in a similar situation.
As I say - I believe in RAKs - I hope others here do too.
Paul, where do you shop?

·
Registered
14,485 Posts
I try to do my bit. I've adjusted clutches and fitted car stereos in office car parks. I occasionally lend out tools and give away bits of car I have no use for. My dad once roped me into helping tow a vague acquantance's Chevette home. (Nightmare with the rusty front valence sawing through the rope.)

I hope that what goes around comes around. Once or twice people have helped me out when I really needed it and I know how grateful I was.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
First of all, next time you visit Bath Paul, let us know!!! We'd love to show you around and, if you've got more than a day to spare, you'd be welcome to stay with us :)

As for random acts of kindness, many years ago when I first started working and was paid in cash, I went shopping to treat myself to some new clothes (as you do!). Me being me, I managed to lose my purse before I'd even got to the second shop!! I left my name and address with the shops I'd visited and also contacted the police, but thought I would have to treat it as a lesson learned.

But later that evening, there was a knock on the door and there, with my purse, contents intact, was a lady. She'd found it in the store I'd visited first, reported it, got my address and decided to return it personally. I was so grateful, but she wouldn't accept anything for her trouble other than my thanks.

I've never forgotten that lady's kindness!

·
Registered
14,485 Posts
First of all, next time you visit Bath Paul, let us know!!! We'd love to show you around and, if you've got more than a day to spare, you'd be welcome to stay with us :)

As for random acts of kindness, many years ago when I first started working and was paid in cash, I went shopping to treat myself to some new clothes (as you do!). Me being me, I managed to lose my purse before I'd even got to the second shop!! I left my name and address with the shops I'd visited and also contacted the police, but thought I would have to treat it as a lesson learned.

But later that evening, there was a knock on the door and there, with my purse, contents intact, was a lady. She'd found it in the store I'd visited first, reported it, got my address and decided to return it personally. I was so grateful, but she wouldn't accept anything for her trouble other than my thanks.

I've never forgotten that lady's kindness!
I dropped my wallet in a really rough pub in Salford once and some kind soul handed it to the bar staff.

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lynn trust me I would have done but I just assumed that you were away - Gibbo's word of the day thread lead me to assume such.

No worries though - we had a fabulous time there - stayed in a great B&B with an amber coloured Bengal cat. What more could one ask?

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
I have to admit, I don't tend to do it with cash, because of the same feeling of unease that it might be a scam.

But otherwise I always try to help others when I have an opportunity to do so.
An example that springs to mind: A couple of years ago when I'd taken my car to Autolusso, I went for a walk across the local park while I was waiting. Came across a man on a mobility scooter, on the phone, telling someone it'd broken down again. I approached him and asked if I could help, and ended up pushing him all the way home. He tried to offer me payment (a couple of cans of cider!) but I declined - feels good to do something that makes a difference to someone, and that's more than enough.

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to admit, I don't tend to do it with cash, because of the same feeling of unease that it might be a scam.

But otherwise I always try to help others when I have an opportunity to do so.
An example that springs to mind: A couple of years ago when I'd taken my car to Autolusso, I went for a walk across the local park while I was waiting. Came across a man on a mobility scooter, on the phone, telling someone it'd broken down again. I approached him and asked if I could help, and ended up pushing him all the way home. He tried to offer me payment (a couple of cans of cider!) but I declined - feels good to do something that makes a difference to someone, and that's more than enough.
Yep - that's exactly what I meant - doing something for no personal gain but just because it helps a random fellow human.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
One Sunday morning, on the way back up the mainroad hill from the supermarket, I looked up briefly from my newspaper................................bleeding Corsa slowly running off the grass verge towards me.

Supermarket separated from said runaway by one of the busiest trafficlights in the town.........and that was right in the runaway's path.

At a brisk walk, I managed to lean in the drivers door only to find.............the handbrake didn't work.

Now, trotting along the kerbedge, I was just about holding the Corsa back, when I heard the owner's voice shout.."Aww mate, thanks soooo effing much, you've 'saved my life' " Whereupon, he got in via the passenger door, undid the steering lock and steered the car to rest.

Ho, hum!! Back to reading the Sunday papers and a slow walk for the remaining stretch to home.

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One Sunday morning, on the way back up the mainroad hill from the supermarket, I looked up briefly from my newspaper................................bleeding Corsa slowly running off the grass verge towards me.

Supermarket separated from said runaway by one of the busiest trafficlights in the town.........and that was right in the runaway's path.

At a brisk walk, I managed to lean in the drivers door only to find.............the handbrake didn't work.

Now, trotting along the kerbedge, I was just about holding the Corsa back, when I heard the owner's voice shout.."Aww mate, thanks soooo effing much, you've 'saved my life' " Whereupon, he got in via the passenger door, undid the steering lock and steered the car to rest.

Ho, hum!! Back to reading the Sunday papers and a slow walk for the remaining stretch to home.
That counts!

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Lynn trust me I would have done but I just assumed that you were away - Gibbo's word of the day thread lead me to assume such.

No worries though - we had a fabulous time there - stayed in a great B&B with an amber coloured Bengal cat. What more could one ask?
No problem, I realised that :)

But it would be lovely to see you both again - it's been too long!

·
Administrator
60,099 Posts
My youngest lives in Brisbane. About a month ago she was out running and came to an intersection. She stopped and waited for the light to change. She promptly passed out cold :(. (She has low blood pressure and has done this in the past.) Motorists stopped and came to see what happened to her. She woke up with faces peering down at her. A kind lady parked her car and walked her a couple of blocks to her appt. Very nice people :D

I once was driving home and the car in front of me had something on it's roof. It fell off and I stopped to pick it up. It was chock full of money :wow:, the lady was on her way to the store.
I pulled into my driveway, looked for a number and called it. She was amazed to get it back. (she did come back very quickly to my house :lol: )

·
Registered
37,593 Posts
I saw someone pulling out of a local supermarket car park with something on the roof, waved and pulled them up, picked up the item and passed it to the driver through his window.

"It's not mine", proclaimed the ignorant arse before driving off, with the item carefully placed back on his roof.

·
Premium Member
77,198 Posts

erm.......a great B&B without an amber coloured Bengal cat?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts