Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not convinced this is a good idea especially if you think of it as lowering the speed limit for pensioners by 10 mph... think how ****ed off your going to be getting stuck behind a coffin dodger doing 50 on the motorway when the legal limit is 80 :rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im not convinced this is a good idea especially if you think of it as lowering the speed limit for pensioners by 10 mph... think how ****ed off your going to be getting stuck behind a coffin dodger doing 50 on the motorway when the legal limit is 80 :rolleyes:
If they were in the outside lane you'd just undertake them, surely:confused::lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yep,good idea, 80 is still too slow though.Lets build a lane for cars with less than 110bhp so we can get to where we,re going and not get held up by these gutless tin cans:lol:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep,good idea, 80 is still too slow though.Lets build a lane for cars with less than 110bhp so we can get to where we,re going and not get held up by these gutless tin cans:lol:
Agreed - shall we start a petition? All cars under 110bhp to use the "gutless lane" or we will undertake you :lol:

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
It would be better to ban 4x4s for people who don't live in the country (What's the point?)

But seriously, in the same way that it's illegal to use your phone, we should ban smoking in cars, and ban children who can't sit still and be quiet from cars. They are big distractions that cause the driver to lose concentration on what they are doing.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Could be a bit of a problem with that.
My 150bhp (well when it was new) would probably struggle to pass a 110bhp Caterham/replica type kit car :lol:

·
Registered
9,496 Posts

The only time this coffin-dodger does 50mph on the motorway is when stuck behind some idiot who's so busy talking or texting on his mobile that he forgets where he is or what he's supposed to be doing:eek:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My old Mini with a slightly tuned 1000cc engine (alloy inlet, LCB, silly exhaust, K&N, electronic ignition) probably had no more than 50BHP but would happily rev its bits off and had a few off-the-90mph clock moments (on private test tracks).

·
Registered
623 Posts
Agreed - shall we start a petition? All cars under 110bhp to use the "gutless lane" or we will undertake you :lol:
Thats a f*****g tip top idea,let me be the first to vote yes,and even offer to contribute my spare time to building these"highways for the hopeless":lol:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats a f*****g tip top idea,let me be the first to vote yes,and even offer to contribute my spare time to building these"highways for the hopeless":lol:
Highways for the hopeless - :lol:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
It would be better to ban 4x4s for people who don't live in the country
Do you mean subaru and mitsubishi?

My ml will sit quite happily at 80, all day.

Its not the type of car, it is the muppet doing the driving.

Mick.

·
Registered
11,706 Posts

Mick.
:thumbs: EXACTLY!

If only people would keep left and only pull out to the middle or 3rd lane to overtake there wouldn't be a problem. Drivers of underpowered cars who hog the overtaking lane at 70mph for what seems like hours, determined not to pull in until the horizon is clear :rolleyes::rant::tut:
if they would pull in for 30 secs I'd be past them and on my merry way;)

If I see a car coming up fast behind me I always pull over and let them past a.s.a.p. - if they're going stupidly fast it's not my job to get in their way.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Do you mean subaru and mitsubishi?

My ml will sit quite happily at 80, all day.

Mick.
A neighbour of mine has an ML. Currently in the garage because the transmission has seized.
I've no problem With appropriate cars for appropriate conditions, but taking Chardonnay and Tarquin to school on main roads does not mean you need a 4x4. It doesn't make you or them safer, is uneconomical, and can be more dangerous for other road users in normal cars, on bikes, or on foot.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
It's a matter of education. In Germany the plods will move you over if stay too long in the overtaking lane. A heavy ad campaign followed by enforcement should do the trick.

Just thought, I can't remember that last time I saw plod patrolling a motorway.

How about a minimum speed of, say 60mph?

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Thats the main issue, if the rules of the road re lane discipline were adhered to then an 80 limit would be a non issue but since, as has already been said, muppets hang in the outside lane as god given right to be there there will have to be proper enforecement and since there are no real Motorway Plods anymore then it is bound to be a nightmare when/if it comes in.
And as for the idiot minister who has since said it might only be for Electric/hybrid vehicles. how long will those batteries last at 80mph.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
A neighbour of mine has an ML. Currently in the garage because the transmission has seized.
I've no problem With appropriate cars for appropriate conditions, but taking Chardonnay and Tarquin to school on main roads does not mean you need a 4x4. It doesn't make you or them safer, is uneconomical, and can be more dangerous for other road users in normal cars, on bikes, or on foot.
Ah, that will be the difference, mine hasn't got a transmition it's got a gearbox instead.

Appropriate cars for appropriate conditions?
So no more Ferrari's or Lamborghini's on the road then, only the track?

Can be more dangerous for other road users in normal cars, on bikes, or on foot.
If you were on foot or on your bike when a Smart hit you, you could die. It doesn't need to be a 4x4. And if you were in your car when it was hit by a van, it would hurt a lot.

I often hear that 4x4's should be banned, usualy from people that for some reason have a grudge against them. They want them banned because they don't like them. No other reason

I guess electric cars won't go far at 80, but don't worry they will save the planet.
Or maybe not when everything is taken into account.

I can't remember the last motorway cop I saw either.

Minimum of 60 won't work, some people van't drive that fast.

Mick.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The gearbox is part of the transmission.

Minimum speed on the French autoroutes is 80kph (50mph)
for the outside lane and this is also the speed you have to attain
before pulling off the hard shoulder.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I know the gearbox is part of the tranny.

It isn't like me but, I was being sarcastic :).

Mick.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
they should just rename the lanes-

outside lane = fast lane, to go fast in :cool:, basicly unless you want to go fast (say, 80 mph - unlimited :D) you stay out of it

middle lane = A cruising lane, to 'cruise' in :) if you just want to go a bit quicker to get where you want to go without hooning it (50 mph- 80mph) if you want to go faster the get in the fast lane :thumbs:

inside lane= A poodle along/sunday driver lane :mad: if you want to give up on life and take 3 months to get anywhere ( 0-50mph) get in that lane and stay out of everyone else's way and let them get on with their day :thumbs:

to enforce this new law there would be cameras giving out tickets if you didn't do the minimum speed of each lane. then someone comes and hand delivers your fine to your door and punches you in the face :thumbs:

only problem is when the motorway goes into 3+ lanes :confused: :( im sure i could find a way round that though :lol:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I agree with most of that except lane 2. That should be as lane 3, oh and only if you want to pass something ahead. :p

There is no reason to drive in either lane 2 or 3 unless you are passing a car.
I used to think maybe we could do what is done in the USA. It is similar to us but the difference being you can pass in any lane, but I am convinced in the UK every ****er would just do 50 in every lane :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts