Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 GTA Sportwagon is still in the hands of it's proud new owner, and even after a year he's delighted (hasn't even broken down yet :grin:) but he wants to try and stop it bottoming out on small bumps.

I fitted the Bilstein Prokit and a steel sump guard to minimize the GTA 'sniffing the road' when I got it and it's just over 1.5 years old (so presumably has done under 5k since it's the new owner's weekend toy), but he'd like to raise it a bit to avoid any damage to the underside. I don't think he's too bothered about affecting the handling (he's in his 80s!) so anyone got any suggestions for what I can recommend to him?

The options I came up with:

1) Live with it and avoid speedbumps
2) Try and source Crosswagon-type struts
3) Fit some spacers to the front suspension to raise the ride height (e.g. 156/147GT Front Suspension/Ride Height raising Kit (TotallAlfa Production) :: TotallyAlfa)
4) Keep the Bilstein shocks but refit OEM springs, and be prepared to replace them at least yearly
5) Try and find some coilovers which allow a positive ride height adjustment; I read somewhere on here there are some coilovers which allow up to +20mm, but no idea what they are

Any other suggestions / recommendations for him?

BTW if anyone still remembers my brief-but-chatty foray into this site, this is now my current Subaru beastie - 300bhp remap, full decat, lowered / uprated suspension, aluminium bonnet, lightened flywheel, lightened driver's seat, lightweight wheels. Almost as fast as the GTA in a straight line, corners better, and even has a bearable exhaust note :) Would be nice if it had the Busso howl and a slightly less ugly mug though.

...And my GTA when I owned it:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I would suggest talking to Ned at autolusso i,m sure he does a specially designed tall spring height kit for the Gta..

otherwise a set of KW Version 1 as it can be set higher as well a lower

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suggest taking to Ned at autolusso i,m sure he does a specially designed tall spring height kit for the Gta..

otherwise a set of KW Version 1 as it can be set higher as well a lower
Aha, that was the coilovers I was trying to remember :D

I suspect he's already been talking to Ned, car was with Autolusso for a service recently... Maybe that's what started his quest for increased ride height.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh, v early days yet but there's a small chance, assuming the new owner doesn't fall in love with it again, assuming I can bear swapping my lovely Subaru for it and assuming I don't take fright at the thought of having to spend ridiculous amounts of time / money doing even the simplest jobs on the stupid thing, I might get the GTA back towards the end of the month.

Nothing definite yet, but bearing in mind how annoyed I was with it when I sold it on, I must be stark, staring mad to even contemplate such a daft idea :silly:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts