Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: I want to raise the rear ride height of my GTV by around 15mm and stiffen the spring up because my rear wheels are toeing in a bit much for my liking. Tire wear has been very good with 100% even wear over the entire surface, but this is because the toe has been compensated for by other means such as camber correction, etc.

My reason for dong this is because my rear wheels are scraping somewhere in the wheel well, towards the rear, as toe-in increases through dips and bumps. Toe is essential for stability but I could really do with less scraping now.

My question now:

What will the effect on handling be if I were to do this? It currently handles like a dream, to the point where I can add 20km/h on top of the 159's already generous corner entry speed and still floor the throttle all the way around the corner. I love that go-kart handling trick.

I aim to stiffen and raise by using "spring stiffening rubbers" as in: http://www.campingandcaravanningclu...AyADAAOAA2ADgAfAB8AEYAYQBsAHMAZQB8AHwAMAB8AA2

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Rubber change significantly with environment: heat, moisture, working life. It might be wrong now, right in a month and wrong again to the other side in 6 months.

The only true fix is new springs... There you can address both height and stiffness. Oil based shocks can address stiffness only, Air assisted shocks could also address both. I do not have part numbers to refence

·
Registered
915 Posts
is there no way to adjust the wheel well instead? some chaps roll the fenders a smidgeon to get the clearance to prevent the rub. well they do on lesser cars...just a thought. Especially if the car is handling so well.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Ian, my feeling is that the Eibach springs are too soft at the rear. I would like stiffer rear springs.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
is there no way to adjust the wheel well instead? some chaps roll the fenders a smidgeon to get the clearance to prevent the rub. well they do on lesser cars...just a thought. Especially if the car is handling so well.
It does not touch on the edge of the wheel arch, the tyre actually rubs the inside on the wheel well, the plastic part sits against the body of the car.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my case it rubs on the outside.

El the rear is sprung stiff enough. Your dampers might be too soft. I didn't adjust my rear dampers yet because they provide my only sense of comfort. Besides, in a GTV you want your rear to work with passive steering and all. That way you can attack mountains with pleasure. Else it would feel just like a 156 or 159 where rear wheel steering is so benign that you don't feel it working. I would like to rather know it's kicking in and I still have some power through a corner than have my butt take me 180 degrees through a corner and end up with the N2 on my head... again... :depressed:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I also have this issue, mainly because of the spacers I am running but the solution would be stiffer springs, bearing in mind I already have the Koni Sports set to the hardest setting!

In terms of different springs what is suggested?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I also have this issue, mainly because of the spacers I am running but the solution would be stiffer springs, bearing in mind I already have the Koni Sports set to the hardest setting!

H&R, they're not as low as the Eibach, i have -25mm & rarely touches & i had 18's, will have to see what it does with 19's.

A little off topic, when my car was on 17's the car scraped everywhere, i replaced 3 exhaust front sections, with the 18's it scraped nowhere, now with the 19's it's even a little higher.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

I think remove the spacers.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Cape Alfa, there must be something wrong. On 17" wheels like yours I had zero contact anywhere. And my rear shocks are only set 1/3 way to firm. First click in other words. And my car's rear end doesn't bounce at all when I try to bounce it. Only with 225/40/18 am I having clearance issues.

My problem occurs when I hit a dip in the road at speed, or when I accelerate around corners, loading up the outer rear wheel and scraping on the outside of the wheel.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My problem occurs when I hit a dip in the road at speed, or when I accelerate around corners, loading up the outer rear wheel and scraping on the outside of the wheel.
Exactly the same problem I am having. I like the spacers for aesthetics but its clear the wheel is rubbing sometimes mainly hard cornering and sharp bumps.

I don't want to lower the car because if I do I wont be able to get it up the driveway.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I have thinner spacers at the back to alleviate the problem.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly the same problem I am having. I like the spacers for aesthetics but its clear the wheel is rubbing sometimes mainly hard cornering and sharp bumps.

I don't want to lower the car because if I do I wont be able to get it up the driveway.
Ah, so you have teledials and spacers. That's your problem. The largest spacers you can fit with proper GTV teledials is 5mm. You get 156 teledials as well, with a 41mm offset and they can be fitted with 15mm spacers.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
That changes front and rear track. The GTV needs a wider track at the rear for balance. I would hate to destroy handling balance though.
You'll have to compromise somehow. There is no getting away from that. Either add things to your existing springs, get new springs, reduce spacer thickness or go back to teledials.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ah, so you have teledials and spacers. That's your problem. The largest spacers you can fit with proper GTV teledials is 5mm. You get 156 teledials as well, with a 41mm offset and they can be fitted with 15mm spacers.
I have got GTA wheels. I suspect I should look at getting some new stock springs, maybe these are a bit tired.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GTA wheels actually need a 5mm spacer to sit right on a GTV. And you can't run koni Sport full stiffness on stock springs. Your car will be over damped at the rear and will rub bewcause your suspension isn't returning to normal quickly enough. You should be running your Konis on the absolute softest setting on stock shocks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
GTA wheels actually need a 5mm spacer to sit right on a GTV. And you can't run koni Sport full stiffness on stock springs. Your car will be over damped at the rear and will rub bewcause your suspension isn't returning to normal quickly enough. You should be running your Konis on the absolute softest setting on stock shocks.
Yip I have 5mm spacers all round. Will get underneath the car and have a look and see what is going on.

At max stiffness the car handles like a dream, heavy on front tyres but really handles well.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
lifting the car...shame.:readit:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
My question now:

What will the effect on handling be if I were to do this? It currently handles like a dream, to the point where I can add 20km/h on top of the 159's already generous corner entry speed and still floor the throttle all the way around the corner. I love that go-kart handling trick.

I aim to stiffen and raise by using "spring stiffening rubbers" as in: http://www.campingandcaravanningclu...AyADAAOAA2ADgAfAB8AEYAYQBsAHMAZQB8AHwAMAB8AA2
Theory: The racers will tell you, if you raise the rear, more weight goes to the front and the rear becomes more loose. My opinion - good for understeer.

I have raised the rear 20mm and age dropped my std front 20mm. I think the understeer is a little less when driving calmly. When driving enthusiasticly, I am a doos, it is either all or nothing meaning understeer. The car is definitely not tail-happy, but on track I could induce oversteer by quickly coming off throttle. But my cars std coils are intact, meaning the rear wheel steering work.

You want to stiffen the rear with caravan rubbers. I have done this with the 145 for the track, but this has no bearing, being a different suspension. But what I can tell you is, with the rubbers, the spring will not go through the normal range of flex. So the rear wheel steer will work even less than with your Eibachs. Standard geometry will not work at all.

I like the idea of raising the rear, but will use a set of std coils to achieve this, with the Eibachs up front.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts