Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

I'm thinking about a more interesting exhaust note. The alfisti and gazalla websites both sell rear pipes that do away with the last 2 silencers but the descriptions imply they are for racing only. Are they too loud for road use?

Would I be better off getting a rear pipe with a silencer?

cheers
Matt

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have the pipe you refer to, in combination with a standard centre pipe (with the only silencer of my system) and Alfaholics front pipes (which didn't really make any audible difference to OE front pipes).

I think those websites are covering their ar5es with their 'racing only' comment. It's in no way too loud, mine has passed an MOT without any problems, has been on for a year and when I was pulled over by the cops on an unrelated matter no comment was made about the exhaust; I would lay money no cop or authority would have an issue with it. I love the sound it makes, I'd never go back to OE and to this day is still the best thing I've done to the car as with every drive the car sounds fantastic.

I was in St Albans today, not a million miles from you misterchase...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I put a Novitec rear removing the last two silencers and it sounds great. Here's a vid which I need to update now that it's sooted up and sounds much better. Not intrusive at all and not overly loud below 3500 rpm. From there on up it sounds great but not stupid loud.

YouTube - GTV TS - Novitec Twin DTM (better quality)

:)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the pipe you refer to, in combination with a standard centre pipe (with the only silencer of my system) and Alfaholics front pipes (which didn't really make any audible difference to OE front pipes).

I think those websites are covering their ar5es with their 'racing only' comment. It's in no way too loud, mine has passed an MOT without any problems, has been on for a year and when I was pulled over by the cops on an unrelated matter no comment was made about the exhaust; I would lay money no cop or authority would have an issue with it. I love the sound it makes, I'd never go back to OE and to this day is still the best thing I've done to the car as with every drive the car sounds fantastic.

I was in St Albans today, not a million miles from you misterchase...
:) that's exactly what i wanted to hear, roll on payday!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Evening all,

I'm thinking about a more interesting exhaust note. The alfisti and gazalla websites both sell rear pipes that do away with the last 2 silencers but the descriptions imply they are for racing only. Are they too loud for road use?

Would I be better off getting a rear pipe with a silencer?

cheers
Matt
I've got a Ragazzon system on my V6. It sounds absolutely glorious when pushing on, and the radio is more often than not, switched off. I was driving home at 5am this morning, main street was deserted, so I gave it some beans in 1st and 2nd. The sound bouncing off the shopfronts was :D :D :D.

Only fly in the ointment, is that it does drone a bit at cruising speeds in 6th, but that's the reason I haven't binned the stereo!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It's a matter or personal preference. I had a straight-through rear Ragazzon, but it was too loud for me and I replaced with a Ragazzon quad exit with silencers. I'm very happy with the sound now.
Have a listen to my clips on youtube which were with the straight-through.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Do it!

I've just fitted my Ragazzon single exit rear pipe (Group N), it's completely intoxicating now! I'm running a standard mid pipe to cover the need for a silencer and it's considerably louder than before. I have more cabin noise at cruising speeds (3k RPM, 60-80mph) which is an acceptable trade off for the sound everywhere else in the rev range!

Now I'm just wondering what it will sound like with an unsilenced mid-pipe....(too loud probably), but maybe for trackdays....:D

Took me about 45mins to fit on the driveway - nice easy job for once :thumbs:

Here's a couple of pics, video to follow in the next couple of days...

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/redbarron912/BackJune.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/redbarron912/backjune2.jpg

WARNING: DO NOT BUY FROM GAZZELLA SPORT!!!! :tut::tut:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Big Dog had a totally unsilenced system I think, but it was too much of a beast and IIRC he added a silencer to the centre pipe to reduce the noise.

I'll be needing a new centre pipe soon as the baffles on my OE one are rattling a little (after just 1.5 years) so I'll be replacing it with a pipe with a silencer, maybe the alfaholics one...

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,380 Posts
IMO what you want is the Ragazzon unsilenced CENTRE link pipe and a silenced back box, that way you get the SS sound and your doing away with 2 of the 3 silencers from the cat back. if you just get the unsilenced back box you still have 2 silencers. here is a video of mine with the system i just mentioned: YouTube - Alfa GTV in Scotland and yes, the windows were closed :D

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
IMO what you want is the Ragazzon unsilenced CENTRE link pipe and a silenced back box, that way you get the SS sound and your doing away with 2 of the 3 silencers from the cat back. if you just get the unsilenced back box you still have 2 silencers. here is a video of mine with the system i just mentioned: YouTube - Alfa GTV in Scotland and yes, the windows were closed :D
I wondered how long it would take before you found this thread:lol:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
On my Phase 2 3.0 by losing the OE rear section you lose the last two silencers, leaving one silencer in the OE centre section, is your set-up different?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not sure how it works with the 3.0 V6 but on my twinny there was 4 silencers in total on the standard setup.

One small just after the cat (which is replaced with ragazzon stright pipe), one large traverse in the centre leading to another large traverse on the rear, then another smaller silencer before the tail pipe. (all replaced by longlife parts)

If you fit just straight pipe through the back and have one large one in centre you should be only left with 1 silencer..? Ok that's for a TS car only maybe...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not sure what kind of set up Gaz has, but my Ph1 only has one silencer on the mid section, by removing my old back box/section I got rid of two silencers.....

Really it all comes down to how you want your car to sound, my personal preference is; loud enough for the Saxo brigade to leave you alone at the lights, but quiet enough to be able to listen to the stereo around town.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,380 Posts
i think i should make it a bit clearer :eek:

i took off the old system from the cat back and replaced it with an unsilenced link pipe and a silenced back box. so now from the cat back there is only one silencer which is right in front of the tail pipe. sounds glorious and isnt too loud now although others will disagree with that :lol:

·
Registered
325 Posts
ragazzon

is there anyone else in the uk who supply ragazzon quad exhausts and how many weeks do u av 2 wait 2 get em from gazella

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
The ones on the Autodelta website look remarkably similar top the ones from Gazella, although they are not advertised as Ragazzon as such..

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Autodelta one's are made by Ragazzon for Autodelta. :)
Interesting....

Thanks for all the posts / feedback chaps. Will be ordering the unsilenced rear pipe next week. Going for a twin dtm job and keeping the standard center silencer / cat etc.

Reckon I can fit myself, will post results.

Cheers to all

MC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts