Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For weeks now R&B men have been coming round early on Sundays. Grrrr

loud hailer and stupid music/calling.

Surly this is a breach of the peace or what ever!!!!!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
We get at least three different sets of them, at one point there'd be a van drive down the street nearly every day but it seems to have spaced out alot more now.
Ours just shout though.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
No glue /gelatine works where I lived as a nipper anymore! :(: Not such a bad idea as the stink from it was shall we say pretty overwhelming. Still at least you could fart in the queue whilst waiting for the swimming pool to open, as your stench would be lost good and proper. Another most unsavoury topic on a Sunday morning on AO?:D

I reckon these old scrappers nowadays are a different breed from the old Rag and Bone men, who handed out goldfish or fluffy yellow chicks for your rags and bones? Didn't have much to throw away after WWII, just rags and bones if you were lucky, what with food and clothes still on the Ration Books? How lucky we are, in this wasteful age! :lol:

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Where these actually Rag and Bone men or just filthy dirty pikey scumsucking dirt boxes who should be burnt at the stake?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
We've had a "rag and bone" man around twice a week for about the last couple of years, Old Iorrrnnnnn blaring out from the tannoy on top of his MOT failure flatbed Ford Transit. Luckily :rolleyes: not early in the morning so no problem there but if you leave something out the front of your house it'll go.
Guy two doors down had taken a radiator off (decorating) and left it to drain on his front lawn and they had it away :( loads of kids push bikes have all gone as well.

Make sure you keep your stuff out of sight.

On the plus side saved me a couple of trips down the tip :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
22,993 Posts
Blimey - remember them when I was a kid in the late 50's early 60's. They really did come up those South London suburban streets with a horse drawn cart.

The normal approach was to ring a bell and cry "any old rag and bone". However I have a memory of one coming along our street when I was about 10 (1962) and in between the standard cry he told a story - you wouldn't have noticed unless you really listened as your ear was attuned to "any old rag and bone". As I say I was 10 years old but every other line held me spellbound - Ok as I write this now it may not seem much but it sort of went:-

"Any old rag and bone"
"I've travelled far then home"
"Any old rag and bone"
"India, China,Rome"
"Any old rag and bone"
............ and so it went on.

I have to say I have never met anyone else with a similar memory but I liken it to song lyrics - many people don't actually listen to the words at all.

·
Super Moderator
44,732 Posts
I take it that despite keeping the name, they do not in fact collect rags and bones?

Scrap metal? Do they pay for it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
hey tom i know how u feel i was out washing my car when these weirdos came down i thought the ice cream man had a new tune but then i saw this horrible pick up that looked like it was pulled out of the river , very annoying people indeed lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts