Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, the problems seem to come quick and fast with the alfa. seems i have a leaky rad, it can take a few days for the coolant to drop from max to min, but twice it has completely drained in a day and the car has over heated. should i use radweld or just bite the bullet and get a new rad?:confused:

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
A different car (Audi A4 in fact) but I changed the radiator as it leaked. It still leaks and if I was going to keep the car I would put radweld in.
Many will say not to mind :lol:

·
Vendor
46,822 Posts
Just get a new rad. Radweld will get everywhere inside your cooling system including some of the narrow coolant channels inside the block and cylinder head. Its not good stuff in the longrun.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
:lol: Told you so.
Unfortunately though my rad leaked a new one never solved the problem. Must be leaking elsewhere in my case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did call in to my local garage they said the same thing, dont use it as it clogs stuff. but i thought i would run it by you guys first.

thanks

·
Registered
30,324 Posts
...but twice it has completely drained in a day and the car has over heated.
Get a new rad.

and pray it isn't too late already...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used Radweld in an old car, it blocked the heater, so winter was a nightmare, ended up scrapping it for £100

·
Registered
786 Posts
If you really MUST use a a quick fix solution, Use 'K Seal' instead of Radweld.

I always carry a bottle in the car!

But as above, get it sorted with a new Radiator!

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i did stop once i noticed it over heating, i managed to let it cool down and get some water in, i was only 5 miles away from home. anyway new rad went in on friday, got brakes done too. all for £215 so it wasnt that bad

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I used Quaker Oats in my Austin 7 in 1955! Worked a treat but what damage it did I have no idea.
:lol::lol:
They used to say an egg dropped in there. I guess it would boil and the white part of the egg seal the hole.

Tights for auxiliary belts anyone? :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts