Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the car audio know how got any ideas as to how i would set up my Sony head unit to go off with the ignition. At he moment the only way to turn it off is to take the face off. Im assuming its not really off even when i do that because my battery keeps draining flat.

go easy im not car audio or elec genius

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Hi,

I have a Sony Head unit and had problems with mine when i first fitted it........... I seem to remember to two live feeds from the car into the head unit needed reversing........

Thats the Yellow and Red.............

So red from the car to Yellow on the head unit and vice versa........

IM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS SO IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY IT AND YOUR CAR BLOWS UP ............ DON'T BLAME ME !!!!!..........

But it might help.........

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
235 Posts
Simple enough job i had to do this on mine ,it was a pain having to switch it off every time i switched off the engine

D

·
0 Posts
I take it
a) it wont switch off with the off button then; and
b) it retains radio stations in memory after switch off ?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
the problem is the red wire, the pin on the iso plug that comes out of the stereo needs to be in a different place for an alfa,

you need to pull the pin out and move it over two places
:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the problem is the red wire, the pin on the iso plug that comes out of the stereo needs to be in a different place for an alfa,

you need to pull the pin out and move it over two places
:thumbs:
Will it loose the preset stations or will it still have power...just a lot less power?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
it will work as it should if you do this

in the meantime if you hold the power button in for around 5 secs it will turn off properly, no clock etc..

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
if i remember, i will take a photo of mine tomorrow so you can compare it with yours and have a visual referance to which wire needs to be moved

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
there are 2 powerwires feeding to the headunit:
1. 'constant' +12V powerwire: this is the main wire that supplies power to run the unit and provide memory backup (of radio stations, etc); it is always 'live', and connects to the YELLOW powerwire on the sony
2. 'switched' +12V powerwire (aka IGN): this wire switches between 0V and +12V when you turn the ignition key; this wire should connect to the RED powerwire on the sony

currently, it seems your RED sony wire is connected to a 'constant' wire instead of 'switched'. as such, the headunit does not turn off when you turn the ignition key to off.

so you need to change the connection of the sony RED wire to a suitable 'switched' wire. the cigarette lighter powerwire is often a suitable one.

use a multimeter when doing this kind of work. it will allow you to measure the voltages, and ensure the wire does switch between 0V and +12V when you turn the key. it will also confirm that the RED wire is currently connected to a constant source.

:)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice. Ill try the holding power button for 3-5 seconds. The car is going to the garage Sat to have the battery charged and check the power drain. Ill update on tues once its hopefully sorted. ill let u know if they need to re wire the head unit.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
even in 'standby', a headunit usually draws a tiny bit of current. you need to 'kill' the supply to the ACC wire; either rewire or add an inline switch.

:)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To update....battery is ok and charged. No other obvious fault. Gona try switching the radio fully off and see if it starts at the weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts