Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone bother with radiator re-cores anymore or is it just as cheap to swap the rad out?

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Don't think you can recore these ones - recoring to me means a new matrix and a bloke soldering cans onto the end. End cans on modern rads are plastic.

Valeo do a replacement for about £130 or so. Just swap out.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
You can get reasonable quality ones for under £100 .... both of my replacements are from fleabay .. but quality supplies.

All rads, have a working life or 5-6 years .. 7 if you are lucky .. having the two cores (rad and condenser) so close together means the cores rot .. I've taken one out and watched the core literally disintegrate to dust before my own eyes .. and couldn't see the leak!!!

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I got a Nissens Aluminium rad for my 156, lasted far longer than the original Valeo or the replacement Valeo. The Aluminium Nissens one is still in there now, 8-years later (already twice as long as the Valeo lasted...).
It was £120 at the time, bit less now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers will replace then. Not leaking since I stuck a can of radweld in there but no doubt will start again soon. Other things to fix first! :)

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Cheers will replace then. Not leaking since I stuck a can of radweld in there but no doubt will start again soon. Other things to fix first! :)
Radweld.......:depressed:

They are usually well past it long before they actually leak.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
That went in the bin long ago ... Along with the wd40!

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Well it's not leaking and the temp gauge is spot on so I don't see a reason to swap it yet.
Radweld is a temporary "get you home" fix.
It isn't a permanent repair solution for a rad that is clearly failing.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Radweld is a temporary "get you home" fix.
It isn't a permanent repair solution for a rad that is clearly failing.
Isn't rad weld a bit of a no no? Risks blocking up water channels in the engine? Atherosclerosis for your car?!

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Isn't rad weld a bit of a no no? Risks blocking up water channels in the engine? Atherosclerosis for your car?!
I wouldn't put it is there.

But he has done it already, so he is stuck with it.

I wonder what his "other things to fix first" are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts