Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Alfa People,

I have removed , flushed through and de-scaled, and refitted my radiator.
All good. Not too much swearing and only one cut knuckle.

The radiator has the IN and OUT on the same side.
So how does the radiators internal design force the water to pass through the cooling pipes?
When flushing the rad out it appeared that there was no block or baffle between the inlet and outlet. So surely in the car the hot water simply flows straight to the outlet and doesn't really get forced through the cooling pipes?

Or am I completely wrong.
Come on engineers....help me understand how this is working efficiently.

Why I ask? I noticed if I run at a high speed on a motorway for a while (perhaps fractionally over 70) the temp climbs a bit, despite plenty of high speed cooling air mass...

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I could be wrong (it does happen on very rare occasions) but there will be something in the radiator that will force the water to flow to the opposite side to the inlet before it can flow back and out of the outlet. There may be a series of baffles or whatever so this happens multiple times as the water flows through the radiator.

RX-8 Overheating Problems & Solutions

Scroll down and there is a diagram of how this works that probably explains it better than I can. If you get to the photo of some chick in a bikini holding a radiator you've gone too far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts