Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a low mileage 147 GTA and love it. Is it normal for the radiator fan to kick in and run very often? I have no overheating issues - just surprised that the fan kicks in prior to reaching normal running temp (roughly 90)..........

Regards

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is possible that it is normal, the engine warms up very much and very fast. Anyhow better than you check the thermostat. If you are in the habit of taking the climate, the fan works much more often, have it in account.

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a low mileage 147 GTA and love it. Is it normal for the radiator fan to kick in and run very often? I have no overheating issues - just surprised that the fan kicks in prior to reaching normal running temp (roughly 90)..........

Regards
Completely normal if you have the A/C on.
With the A/C off the fan shouldn't run until needed to cool the engine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Guys,

Regards
i also have a low milage 147 gta and the fan kicks in every 5 mins when at a stand still is this normal?? i have no problems with engine temp all is fine just suprised on how offten it kicks in

My Gta has done 16k, drives like new and the fan kicks in all the time, but the temp never goes above 89-90 even sat in traffic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 147 (just the 1.6 lusso) has a different problem that just popped up yesterday.
Standing in a queue, the display suddenly said that the maximum temperature had been reached (or words to that effect:eek: ). The guage was pointing up to 130. I switched off the a/c and as I drove away the warning went and the needle dropped slightly. I was only going a mile or so and when I parked it obviously cooled down.
Today it did the same thing - standing in a queue (I hadn't noticed the guage creeping up); warning message.
I guess it could be the coolant (but the reservoir is full)
It could be the fan - no fuses seem to be blown
It could be the thermostat...how do I check it?
Any advice welcome

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
My 147 (just the 1.6 lusso) has a different problem that just popped up yesterday.
Standing in a queue, the display suddenly said that the maximum temperature had been reached (or words to that effect:eek: ). The guage was pointing up to 130. I switched off the a/c and as I drove away the warning went and the needle dropped slightly. I was only going a mile or so and when I parked it obviously cooled down.
Today it did the same thing - standing in a queue (I hadn't noticed the guage creeping up); warning message.
I guess it could be the coolant (but the reservoir is full)
It could be the fan - no fuses seem to be blown
It could be the thermostat...how do I check it?
Any advice welcome
First advise is if your gauge is above 100, turn engine off immediately, you are risking blown head gasket or wraped cylinder head.

Have the car checked, it could be anything, fan, stuck thermostat, water pump..... If your fan is not working above 90, have this checked. If the fan is on and the temp still rises, it is thermostat or the pump is on the way out.

In emergency, you can wind down the windows and turn the heater on the max temp and fan to max to take out some heat from the engine bay. This will help a little in case your problem is the radiator fan, but in case it is thermostat or pump, it will not help much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The guage (as far as I noticed) was (is) always at 90. Then when the warning message comes up, it's at 130. I've never seen the guage moving up.
I've not opened the bonnet when the temp is at max so I couldn't say if the fan was working.
I've also booked it into the garage for a look at the thermostat and a service!

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Probably the fan not working.
In combination with a rad that is past its best.

Very unlikely to be the thermostat.

W

·
0 Posts
i had same problem, fan always kicking in, was found to be the rad was totally knackered which was only visible when taken off to inspect

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
If the fans are working you will definitely hear them at standstill. With a hot engine both fans work pretty hard pushing lots of air through the rad. If they are working you should definitely be able to hear them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts