Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

The bottom 1/3rd of my radiator has seen better days, with flaky fins dropping out all over the place.

So the question is, can I carefully push a thin bit of metal along there to remove all the rotted fins? It's so tempting but probably a bad idea...

I'm also thinking of spraying with the most hard-core rust prevention spray I can find and then ignoring it until it springs a leak.

Cheers

·
Registered
513 Posts
What will you achieve by pushing the old fins out? Can't imagine they are doing any harm and may still be helping the cooling effect.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I suppose yes you can, but some thing like the blunt back of a plastic comb would be safer for the coolant galleries. Aftermarket electric fans used to bolt straight through the fins many years ago, so the galleries on older rads at least were not that fragile. Dunno about modern aluminum ones tho!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
There used to be a tool called a 'radiator comb'.. dunno if you can still get them.. a kinda plastic comb thing.. I'd ignore it and save up for a new rad.. I wouldn't shove any metal in there..

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i paid £66 for my radiator from your description its deffinatly a dead radiator and of course its never gone mend itself lol so just do what you have to do and replace it

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Exactly, so stop f*****g about and buy a new rad.
Don't wait until it starts to leak...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahahah I guess I've been told!

Will do cambelt first when payday comes :)

Thanks guys, didn't realise they were that cheap.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mine is on the way out to, in fact probably worse by the looks of it.
I think i have seen a link on AO before to a cheep aluminium radiator supply, anyone remember where it was ?
cheers

·
Registered
566 Posts
My rad had a tiny leak when I bought the car - I got an Alfa radiator from Jamie Porter 172 incl. postage and took local garage 2 hours to fit @50 p/h. did not want to leave leaky rad as heard stories about them cracking in cold weather, overheating...etc. so chose to replace it asap!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
37,750 Posts
Aluminium replacement radiators are available, Nissens is one brand but I have also seen Valeo ones.

They don't corrode anywhere near as much and are lighter.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Aluminium replacement radiators are available, Nissens is one brand but I have also seen Valeo ones.

They don't corrode anywhere near as much and are lighter.
Much lighter by i would say 50%, and thats comparing it with a rotten one.

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
I think with high Copper prices most have moved to Aluminium now.

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
When my Aluminium rad arrived the parcel was so light I thought they had sent an empty box...!! :lol:

·
Registered
37,750 Posts
My BMW has an Aluminium rad, and is still on the original despite being 14 years old. It still looks very solid, and has lost no fins.

Makes you wonder why they bothered with copper ones.

( I know copper has slightly better heat conductivity, but the differrence is very small)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts