Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried fitting something other than std fans?
With the 16V in a S1 33 space is a bit tight between cambelt covers and fan even if you twist it reweld and move it across a bit.
I was wondering about going to Pacet / Kenlowe style fans. Anyone tried it?
Thought is to see if they would fit in front of rad behind grille. That way could have 2 to help with cooling on the rallycar.
Any thoughts?

rsfruitbat

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I can't remember seeing it done, but it should be possible to fit them in front of the rad.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hi Fruitbat - most aftermarket electric cooling fans can be reversed so that they can either "suck" or "blow" (Pacet and Kenlowe certainly do), so front mount would be perfectly feasible if you have the room in front of the radiator.

Because I have my engine in the back I wasn't constrained on space behind the radiator, so I have used two 'Sud fans side by side. They both come on together. I thought I might need the extra capacity but in practice all that happens is the fans stay on for only half as long to maintain the correct operating temperature. There again, that is with a stock 1500... no telling how much hotter things could get when my cooking 1600 (eventually) makes it onto the road... :D

Lauren

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Thinking of changing the old original fan in my S2 33 (1988) for one of those modern slimline fans, possibly a 12 inch one. And a smaller 9 inch one on the left side.
We have hot summers here and can get stuck in traffic. Last summer the 33 suffered a lot.
I could use the second one as a back up with a manual switch.

My question is what amperage does the old fan draw? I assume the modern ones draw less current.

Would I be ok fitting 2 fans (no idea yet what amperage the modern ones use)? Not sure what fuse the original fan uses either.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The current draw if for the original cooling fan is 6.5 to 7.5 Ampers when running,
at starting it can draw up to 25-30 Ampers for 0.5 seconds.

9 and 12 inch fan draws almost the same. As the diameter increases, the strating
current needs a little more time to drop.

The fan supply wire thickness is very important. Too "thin" wire can set itself on fire.

High starting power drain can be eleminated with PWM fan control modules, they provides
soft starting and speed control proportional to engine temperature. No need for fan relay(s)
when used. The PWM module can use the engine temperature sensor's signal.
With PWM modules you can save electric and engine power (and some fuel also).

An other, cheaper, but automatic solution is to get a double thermal contactor from a turbodiesel 33.
(Aftermarket contactors are also available in different cut-in temperatures. As i know the thread size
is matches with the petrol version, but it's need to be checked.)
This double thermal contactor is able to handle two radiator fans.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a 'push' fan in front of the radiator on my Minari. It is controlled by an adjustable probe type thermostat with two outputs. If I wanted, I could have a fan that came on at 80 deg and a second set to come on at a 95 deg. I currently have the second circuit disconnected because the single fan has coped perfectly well with road and track driving so far.
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Thanks for the information guys.

I didn't know the fans draw so much current.

I will check out the new slimline fans to see their wattage/amperage specs before purchasing anything.

Pretty sure I won't be able to get any fancy double rated thermostats here in Uruguay for my 33.

Maybe just a 12 inch modern fan will help to keep things a little cooler in summer.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
You can search also SPAL's catalogues. They are of the best and they ave some slim models , especially for the tight space of 16v.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have ended up with 2 SPAL fans fitted. One in std location and the other behind the grill in front of the radiator but blowing through the other half of the rdaiator. Definately an improvemnt over a single std fan but not as much as double the improvement. That may be down to the slimline fans have a smaller blade length / width so doesnt move same quantity of air. So 2 fans equals 1.5 times improvement?

rsfruitbat

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
That may be down to the slimline fans have a smaller blade length / width
Yes I noticed the blade dimensions are very different.
Not sure which is best. My old 4 big bladed fan or a new one with many narrow blades.
Which moves more air??

Who can work that out?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
More, but smaller blades can give the same delivery if the sum of the blade surfaces
are match (or nearly match). The blade sizes are affecting the noise characteristics
of the fan. The noise frequency generated by the fan is reverse proportional with the
blade size (compared at same speed): big/large blades creating low frequency noise,
while small blades creating mid and/or high frequency noise.

Today the small, curved bladed fans are the most effective, and their noise level is
the best.

The curved blade is invented in the Soviet Union. Subs and Warship propellers were manufactured
with this type of blade. Submarines equipped with this type of propellers were almost undetectable
with the passive sonar systems, compared to the conventional propellers, because they generating
almost no cavitation in the water (at low speeds). The US subs were equipped this type of propeller
shortly after they noticed the invention.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Lonewolf. You're a car encyclopedia!! Lol

Yes you see all the modern propelled engines with smaller blades true.:thumbs::thumbs:

I'll be buying a 12 inch slimline in a week or two. I'm convinced. Only 25 bucks. Have my old one as a spare.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Is than fan have curved blades?
mm good question. Last time I looked briefly while I was buying plugs I didn't take much notice.
Have to look closer when I go downtown again.

If they have straight blades I should avoid them?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
No, it's just not the latest invention, and it's generates slightly more noise,
compared to the curved blade one. Take a look to the air direction also
(push or pull type fan).

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
mmmm... coming back to radiator choices, I measured the space between and cambelt cover, alternator etc and looks asif only a 9 inch fan will fit in there.

Haven't checked in front of the radiator yet. Maybe as rsfruitbat suggested, one in front of the radiator also. Have to check the clearance.

(I could put this one on a manual switch so it doesn't go through the single point thermostat, (just for those very hot days in summer, stuck in traffic - which is every Sunday coming back from our beach cabin).

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
No I was talking about the beach cabin ! :cheese:

Seriously... if you were able to fit a bigger fan than the orignal one and one in the front as well, I'd like to see a picture please, as I have heat problems due to the climate as well ! :)

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Beach cabin attached:cheese::cheese::cheese:

I think the only way of getting a fan larger than 9 inches in there is an ultra (1inch) fan. The fans here are 2-3 inches. I don't think these will fit.

The original is what? 8 inches in diameter or so?

Maybe the 9 inch multi small bladed fan will be more efficient than the old 4 bladed 8 inch one.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts