Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Have just bought and fitted a new radiator from Boston Rads. The plastic bung (where some models have a temp sensor/fan switch) has failed and water is leaking from it.
Boston are sending me a replacement (not here today) and I have bought a brass fitting from the local plumbers merchants which is too short to thread in.
I need the car tonight. Can anyone suggest exactly what I need from a plumbers or what I may be able to get from my local motor factors to fill the hole?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've just changed my radiator, what you need, is a M22x1.5 blank. If cannot get one, then fit an old temp switch. What did you old radiator have in place? When I bought mine, eBay, I messaged the seller requesting a blank that incorporates an o-ring, and one was fitted, by them and doesn't leak.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The old radiator did not have anything - there was no fitting at all. I have just bought a 22mm 1.5 sump plug (listed for a 155 or 156!) and wrapped it with lots of PTFE tape and that seems to be fine. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The old radiator did not have anything - there was no fitting at all. I have just bought a 22mm 1.5 sump plug (listed for a 155 or 156!) and wrapped it with lots of PTFE tape and that seems to be fine. Thanks.
Like the thinking 😜👍

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
I bought a Rad from Boston Rads a while ago, fortunately I live near Boston......

The bung they initially supplied did not have a groove for the " O " Ring but of course I didn't notice this, I only knew that when I was tightening the bung up the " O " Ring kept trying to squeeze out. Spent a long time messing about with different " O " Rings, PTFE Tape, all with out any success at all.

Went back to them and they gave me the proper " O " Ring, one with a groove in it and that was the end of the problem.

Anyway you seem to have solved the problem, :thumbs:, just thought I'd pass on my experience for any one else having similar problems - check that the bung has a groove for the " O " Ring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts