Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
The radiator bleed screw is leaking on my 1.6.
Is there a way to fix this?

Does the bleed screw come all the way out? If so, would PTFE tape work?

Ideally need this fixed today as I need the car for work for the rest of the week.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The bleed screw on the drivers side of the car does come all the way out.

You could try another rubber/nitrile washer on it. As a long term repair. I reckon ptfe would hold for now tho.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I've read the threads can strip on these things when you try and unscrew them which might explain why it was bodged before. Having said that it's not clear if this problem applies to the Rad screw or the others in the pipework. Need to bleed the radiator on mine really after changing the water pump but am a bit loathed to touch this thing in case it breaks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'll take the bleed screw out, see if I can get a replacement washer from B&Q or something.

Do you know if its a washer or an o-ring?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
yep. replace the o ring

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out theres actually 2 rubber o-rings on the plug, both about 19-20mm diameter. Ill replace them both and hopefully it will solve the issue.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
:confused: mine only has one?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are these screws prone to breaking or is that related to the other bleed screws ?
I've read a lot about them breaking, they seem pretty strong though.
The only complaint I have is the seals are rubbish.

:confused: mine only has one?
There is an o-ring at the top, mine had a second rubber seal a bit further down the shaft of the screw.
Maybe technically not an o-ring but I replaced it with one as it was knackered too.
Done a few runs today and it doesn't seem to have leaked yet.

-touch wood-

S

·
0 Posts
Mine has a rubber washer just under the head of the plastic bleed screw. No O rings. Guess it varies by manufacturer.

All in all, I think I've never had more than the tiniest hoss of air out of mine when bleeding it.

On my last 156 - A 2 litre TS, it had no bleed screw (aftermarket rad) never seemed to be an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts