Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving a Alfa 155 2.5 TD from 1994 and my radiator is leaking like hell.
I am thinking of replacing it myself. Does anyone have some tips for me?
Anyone did it already himself or do you think I should go to my dealer?
All info is welkom!
THX

G

·
dont panic take it easy rads are normaly straight forward to change.firstly take off the front grill you may not need to but it lets the light in so you can see.the biggest problem is the hose clips if they are the originals they can be tough to get off just use some pliers to chew them off. on some cars the rad comes out from the bottom yours may be the same there are two bolts on each side underneath the rad they hold on a long bar that supports the rad in place if you take off the bar it should drop out the bottom..things are more complicated if you have air-con because the drier rad bolts on right in the way..give us a shout if you need more info.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I agree. Rads are quite straight forward to change, most of the bolts are pretty easy to get to. Like JB says, chew off the old pipe connectors if necessary. Best to have a quick look around before you start and check that the pipes are all ok and up to the job of being twisted around as you connect and disconnect them. Also, if you check the connecters first you can go out and buy any replacements before you start. If any rubber pipes are looking a bit too old then Alfa parts are of course ok but you may find that a friendly local shop has a box of spare pipes that you can find very similar shapes in but make sure they really are similar, not just 'close' (I saved a lot by doing this and you wouldnt know the difference to look).

Rads are one of the more satisfying items to replace (I think) because it really feels like youve done something major but is actually quite easy. :)

G

·
Hello Dino, I changed the Rad on my Q4 about 12 months ago, it is a straight forward job, but I found that because of the aircon and position of the fan, I had to take the whole of the front of the car off, Yes the radiator should come out from underneath, but when you are doing it at home you don't tend to have the space under the car to slot it out. Everthing comes off easily and logically and it all goes back on pretty logically too. It took me most of a day to do it, but it was useful to me.
If you need anymore info, or want me to scan in some pics of the car in bits give me a shout

Steve

G

·
Hello Dino, I changed the Rad on my Q4 about 12 months ago, it is a straight forward job, but I found that because of the aircon and position of the fan, I had to take the whole of the front of the car off, Yes the radiator should come out from underneath, but when you are doing it at home you don't tend to have the space under the car to slot it out. Everthing comes off easily and logically and it all goes back on pretty logically too. It took me most of a day to do it, but it was useful to me.
If you need anymore info, or want me to scan in some pics of the car in bits give me a shout

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THX already for the info,
I started this evening and I removed already half of the front of my car. From where I am now I think the rad has to come out from the top.
Below my radiator there are tubes coming from the oil cooler (or maybe the intercooler). So I gues I have to remove my lights, my grill and my bumper because there is no other way I can reach some of the screws. Terrible car to work on, the engine is to big for the car and nothing is easy to reach.
PS: I have no airco

G

·
If you remove the 4 large bolts that secure the panel that the bonnet latches into, the lights should come out with it. If that makes sense. I think the pipes under the radiator are actually extended power steering pipes that act as a kind of cooler for the power steering fluid.
And the radiator is only held by 2 bolts at the top, it is a push fit into a couple of rubber grommits at the bottom.
Don't forget to bleed the radiator by taking out the small plastic threaded plug at the top left of the radiator looking from the front, (engine side)

Steve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just finished. Everthing is back in place.
I just have some screws over but thats normal when I fix something!
Thx everybody for the help!!

G

·
I would suggest keeping a few litres of water in the car, and check the water level after a few journeys, just so it gets topped right up to the correct level.

Steve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts