Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the Dutchies (to stay on the legal side);

I'm almost buying a Target EUR 550, but have to make sure it will work...

Does the windshield of 147 jam the signal for radar detectors, or can I use a window-fitted detector. :cool: I have heard people saying some windshield will block radar signals so that the detector will not pick up & warn me...

Otherwise, I have to buy a Ventura :( costing mucho flappo :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
I know that there are problems with that with the Megane/Laguna/Scenic. But if you take a look at those cars, you see a special (blue-ish) coating on the windscreen. Don't know whether the 147 also has such a coating. It's not visible at least... (but to take a guess and spend a few hundred euro just to find out it has indeed such a coating....)

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's the heatshielding stuff, I believe ...

Hmm, your answer is making me doubting even more Gysman :D But thanks for your input, I appreciate it :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
glad to have helped :p
For what it's worth though, I'd take the guess. I dont think the Alfa windshield is coated.

(but i dont pay for it when it doesnt work...)

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Gysman:
<strong>glad to have helped :p
For what it's worth though, I'd take the guess. I dont think the Alfa windshield is coated.

(but i dont pay for it when it doesnt work...)</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You read my thoughts, will buy it. Can always sell it again :D Lang leve marktplaats :rolleyes:

·
Registered
231 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You read my thoughts<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">great minds think alike. and have avatars that look alike :D

·
0 Posts
i've got a snooper laser detector that works fine but it doesn't make u invisible!

·
0 Posts
147Sillispeed,
how does it work? how much is it? and just how uninvisible are you with it?
Thanks!

W

·
0 Posts
From what little I know its only cars such as the Mondeo with a heated front screen that have problems.

I have a detector but its not a top of the line one, its ok but gives off lots of false alarms. Cameras that monitor traffic flow, but not speed, set it off and gets really annoying. It spends most of the time unplugged unless I'm on a long high speed journey!

wrinx

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all, I think I will go for the Ventura, the "master of all" thing :D

Just in case the Dutch government REALLY bans the detectors, I have a fairly wel-hidden piece of equipment.

Hmm, but it'll cost me. :( Is it worthed :rolleyes: Damn dilemma's :D

J

·
0 Posts
Very Interested by the performances and the prices of those gadgets. Did they detect all the radars and lasers ? How much did they cost ?
Where can you buy ?

My questions are of course just for general information since radar-detectors are forbidden in Belgium !

very surprised that they are allowed in the Netherlands !

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Johnny_147:
<strong>Very Interested by the performances and the prices of those gadgets. Did they detect all the radars and lasers ? How much did they cost ?
Where can you buy ?

My questions are of course just for general information since radar-detectors are forbidden in Belgium !

very surprised that they are allowed in the Netherlands !</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Johhny try http://www.radarshop.com (also in French & English).

In Holland we had a lot of laboratorium and fiels tests, the Ventura and Euro 550 are the best, other ones like the Quintezz and other cheap stuff are crap!

Hope this helps you in your theoretical interests. :)

·
0 Posts
They cost between £150 and £300 UKP.

The work reasonably well - loads of false signals - traffic light, supermarket automatic doors etc.

Some make a different sound for the type of laser guns used by the police which use a different sort a laser with a very narrow beam.

These things can read ur speed at up to 1 mile away and use a burst of laser just 0.3 seconds in length. By the time ur laser detector goes off its too late.

It is useful if the police are checking other cars in front of u as the detector will pick up tiny amounts of the laser that bounce of other cars and road signs.

The best solution is a laser jammer with emits a jamming signal which causes plod's laser gun to display ERROR. However if he stops you and finds a laser jammer you could be in deep s**t. Jammers vary between ones with can emit just a 5 second signal (just enough time to slow down) or more expensive ones which will emit a continuous jamming signal. I think there fairly small and can be concealed behind the front grille of the car - but then what happens if he zaps u from the rear!

By the way there are a whole series of new generation front gatso's on the A14 which I'm sure are operational that my laser detector doesn't pick up!

Laser detectors are not a licence to speed!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've had an bel vector 940-windshield mounted detector; working perfectly...

now we have a new low in romania, about the radar detectors, and they are illegal;
so, I sold the windshield one, and now I have an whistler 3300 remote detector; working just fine...
is it ok the answer?

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by spining:
<strong>I've had an bel vector 940-windshield mounted detector; working perfectly...

now we have a new low in romania, about the radar detectors, and they are illegal;
so, I sold the windshield one, and now I have an whistler 3300 remote detector; working just fine...
is it ok the answer?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spining, thanks m8 !!!

Anyway, will install Nav system first and then have to save money again wink

1 - 16 of 16 Posts