Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above mine is a 2002 2.4 jtd 10v
The rad cooling fans come on full as soon as i turn on the igntion and dont switch off hot or stone cold.
Ive unplugged both fans as it very annoying and sounds like a small plane taking off.
On a side note my temp gauge never gets much past 50 and iam thinking its got a lazy needle.
the engine warms up quickly and the thermostat appers to be to be working fine.
Thanks for any help
Chris

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Have you checked the connection on the temperature sensor?

If the ECU looses contact with the sensor it will turn the fans on.

L

·
0 Posts
if the fan is coming on as soon as they key is at MAR then you may have a faulty temperature sensor or faulty relay at the front of the battery.

if the temp stat never passes 50 , when travelling on the open road, then you need a new stat.

Also its not a good idea to disconnect the fans as these are the only way the car will stay cool when stationary in traffic.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i had the same problem with my last car 07' fiesta

i took it to a indi garage and they diagnosed the fan resistor had gone faulty quick fix from ford.

£60 fitted

not sure if the 156 has a similar setup but worth looking at

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all
Iam 99% sure the thermostat is working fine ive tested the top and bottom hoses from cold.It seems it may be one or the other temp sensor or the fan relays.
Is it the temp sensor or fan relays that kick the fans in?
Thanks again
Chris

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Is it the temp sensor or fan relays that kick the fans in?
The ECU triggers the fans via the relays using the input from the temperature sensor.

As I said, if the ECU looses contact with the sensor it will turn the fans on to save the engine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers dave yes i did check the temp sensor connection it seems fine.
So i will order a new temp sensor and see how it goes from there it may also give me a proper temp reading on the gague.
Thanks again

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Cheers dave yes i did check the temp sensor connection it seems fine.
So i will order a new temp sensor and see how it goes from there it may also give me a proper temp reading on the gague.
Thanks again

Before you do that, buy yourself a KKL cable from fleabay and download (free) Fiat ECU Scan, that way you can display what is going on inside the ECU ... this will give you 100% confidence of where the problem is and will be very useful for any future problems :thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts