Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Why didnt you let me know what a difference there was between my 146 and now 156, ones rushing the other is cruising.

Very cool, too cool, the rad fan stays on. Sensor or Stat, which? there seems to be a lot of doubt.

Economy depends on the engine running at the correct temp, this much I Know, but your the Guys with experience. HELP! :confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
there is a seperate fan for the air conditioning compressor, this activates intermittantly all the time the air-con is on, could it be this?

if you press the little snowflake button to turn the system off does the fan go off?

also if the car should be running at 90C and should pretty much stay there. if not the thermostat will need replacing.
(changing mine this weekend if the parts arrive as mine sits at 70ish)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
* the following is assuming that the air con is switched off *

If your stat (only) has failed then the car will run at a lower temperature than it should in which case the the fan won't come on ... if the temperature sender has failed (or has become disconnected) then the ECU will go into a panic mode (because it doesn't know what the temperature is) and switch the fans on all the time ... some 156's have 2 sensors (one for the gauge and one for the ECU) whereas others have a combined one, if you have a combined one then if the gauge is reading correctly then the problem will be elsewhere, if there are 2 seperate ones and the gauge seems to be giving reasonable figures then there could be a problem with the second sensor (which is in the ignition unit) ...

... or it could be that your rad is knackered and it doesn't cool the coolant quick enough in which case the fans will be on to give the rad some extra umph to cool it down ...

... or one of the relays might have stuck ...

... or you might have a short circuit somewhere ....

So Questions we need to know ...

Is the fan on from the very moment you start the engine?
What temperature does the gauge tell you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to the wizards of alf. Swithed off snowflake and shazam! my Fan stoped. Although quage does not reach 90, I only go short journeys, How far do we go to get to 90 degrees?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
If you only do short journeys, you won't notice.

Yes, as you discovered, the fan comes on with the aircon. Too late for the hotter days, but try driving hard for about half an hour or more, with air on, see if the temperature climbs to the 90 degree mark.

A few weeks ago, I had to keep my eye on the temp gauge when a/c on, as it would climb frighteningly high if stuck in traffic (I need a new radiator!) but soon drop to 85-90 when I got moving again. If necessary, I sometimes had to turn off air, and turn heat and blower up full, to bring the temperature down... :eek:

What sort of temperatures are you getting?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts