Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nice one Barbs,must have been heaps of fun.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you're an AROCA member, there's a driver training day at Oran Park South on May 20. With circuit laps in the afternoon you will get a feel for handling your car at speed without the pressure of supersprint competition. Plus you have an instructor to show you the finer points. I'm putting my entry in tomorrow.

Barbs, I noticed you werea bit slower in the GTV6 compared to the GTA. What's the spec of the racecar? The thing about the GTAs is that with their "nanny" aids, they're relatively easy to drive quickly, even if their not ultimately as quick as a rwd car.

PS: I assume you didn't actually take the track shots.. :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, I was a bit disappointed in the times.
The first session I went out, I was all over the shop. The tire pressures were at 25Psi all round. I was speaking to Greg(Fiat 131) and Robert(GTV6 3 litre) and they both thought the tire pressure was way too low.
We increased the pressure to 30Psi all round and it improved the handling 10 fold.
The car was a touch twitch all day and I was unsure why. I wasn't really 100% confident.
With regards to the GTA, you get to know your everyday car and there for much easier on the track than the GTV6. I'm sure I will get faster as the year goes on.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Barbalatte said:
Yes, I was a bit disappointed in the times.
The first session I went out, I was all over the shop. The tire pressures were at 25Psi all round. I was speaking to Greg(Fiat 131) and Robert(GTV6 3 litre) and they both thought the tire pressure was way too low.
We increased the pressure to 30Psi all round and it improved the handling 10 fold.
The car was a touch twitch all day and I was unsure why. I wasn't really 100% confident.
With regards to the GTA, you get to know your everyday car and there for much easier on the track than the GTV6. I'm sure I will get faster as the year goes on.
The main thing is you had fun. You need to first feel confidence in the car, speed can come later.
On the Driver Training Days, we're asked to boost our pressure on the front tyres to 40 psi, which is what I run normally anyway... 25 psi would seem to be very low. Are you going to do the whole series? I usually go to the Wakefield rounds and went to Oran Park for round one and took some photos.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trust me, I have no problem with confidence! LOL. I really think most of the guys that go to the track are great blokes! I found that they all stick together......Off the track.... Then on the track, your on your own.
Yes, I plan to do the rest of the series. I will try my hardest to get to Wakefield. I have been to Wakefield before. Very tight track. Not much room for error!
Regarding the tire press. I agree, just a little more fiddling around. I will get the camber adjusted too. Not enough.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Barbalatte said:
Yes, I plan to do the rest of the series. I will try my hardest to get to Wakefield. I have been to Wakefield before. Very tight track. Not much room for error!
One good thing about Wakefield is that there are lots of run off areas and no concrete walls to hit. Oran Park has the least room for error. Also, the run down from the top of Wakefield to the fish hook is magic...

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would certainly recommend the driver training days ... Andrew is organising a great event ... and usually does, and the help you get is so valubable .... I'm sure you'd agree Kevin.

You can't bring your race car unless it is road registered though....

As i'm usually the scrutinerr for these events .... I can't let it slide as i can be personally liable if something goes wrong.

But definately give it a go as numbers are sometimes difficult to obtain and AROCA need to maintain these days for the benefit of all members

1 - 10 of 10 Posts