Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
You'd probably have seen any of my post trying to fix the car :D.
I came to a balance where I was happy with the car, and I didn't care the power loss on low revs<1500 or 4000+ rpm.

It was starting to be a nice experience...but today I made a mistake while driving... I made a curve from the outside and slightly drove over the ditch, which had tons of crap, gravel, sand on it.
The car started to slip from the rear, i could manage to not crash with the road divider wall, but then the car made a zigzag and drove to the other road's side wall.
Another quick steer and I thought this time I was going to get it under control, but the car's right rear corner hitted the wall and it became totally out of control, resulting in again going to the central reservation wall, which I hit in all of its glory at a speed of 30-40mph.

I must say that the rear tires were bull***, while the fronts where a trusted michelin model.
The rear tires did an awful job, it was hot and dry, and they performed like a toy car.
The car started to loose all it's fluids like if was bleeding, even the diesel tank broke up!

Lesson learned. No money for good tires? Drive like if you was 80 years old, (30mph everywhere) or don't drive!

This is the aftermath...

PIC 1
PIC 2
PIC 3

Five minutes before, it was beatiful like this :depressed:
PIC 1
PIC 2

Luckly I'm OK, I was driving alone and there were no more cars around, the airbag fired up but I didn't even touch it with my face, the belt kept me in place and I only have a light pain on my left shoulder.
The car is going to the scrapyard, obviously.

For now all my money was in the last repairs in the car, so now I have no money and no car, luckly I still have a girl to let me hear "I told you that thing, I told you that other thing" :readit: :lol:

Well, maybe I'll be back in a year or so...until I can afford something again. I don't know if I'll even buy another car!
I'm still in love with alfas, but they are a so big pain im the *** when they have engine issues! I'll have enough time to think about it, no doubt.

Cheers all, thanks for all your help over all this time! :)

V

·
0 Posts
Oh no!

Sorry to hear that, and I'm glad you're OK.

Will your girlfriend let you drive her car? :wink:

·
Registered
524 Posts
glad your ok mate, thats the important thing!

One last question, how will you be without a car? Surely your insurance company will cough up your claim then you can buy another Alfa!, correct?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My insurance option doesn't cover self caused damages, it would cover any damage to other cars and people, and any injure I could suffer, but not that.
All risk insurance is very expensive. Also I'm proof that they would have given a ridiculous quantity for the car like this, maybe 300 or 400 euro, so I discarded that insurance option.

I didn't choose the replacement car when I did it, again it was more £££.
So the car it's dead and I'm starting to save for another.

Lucky my current job is pretty close and I can go walking, it only takes 10 minutes.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Yikes, that's well wrecked.....

At least it did its job to keep you safe.......

Hope things improve for you.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
sorry to see a damaged 156, especially what looked like a very nice one. Hope things get sorted out for your soon.

Tyres are, arguably, one of the most important bits of safety kit on a car.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Glad you are ok. The car - considering my 159 wasn't even close to being so badly damaged and still a complete writeoff i would say the 156 had it - badly. :depressed:

I hope you find a new good car.
Do you need the room? Maybe a GT? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's good to see you were not injured :) ... but that car is a MESS :-O

This is why I drive like a snail most of the time! Good luck finding a new Alfa!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For now, considering that my job is so close from home, I'll use that slim legs that I have after so much driving :lol:.
And I'll save as much as possible and maybe in a year I'll go for a 159 1.9 jtdm (TI finish, I hope :), just dreams for now ).
The 2.4 is better but the taxes and insurance costs are fairly higher with that engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts