Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was deeply saddened last night to hear of the death of a former colleague, International racing driver and all round great guy Allan Simonsen in the Le Mans 24 hour race yesterday. Apparently Allan crashed out in his Aston Martin on lap 8 after starting from pole position in his class, and succumbed to his injuries shortly after at the medical centre.

Allan was a fantastic guy who I had the pleasure to work with for over three years at Bedford Autodrome, where we was an instructor. Allan had a great character, was funny and engaging as well as ruthlessly fast behind the wheel.

My deepest sympathies go out to Allans' family and team mates, especially his close friend Henric Koch, whom he used to share a house with in his Palmer days. He was one of those people who made the world just a little better.

R.I.P. Allan.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Very nice post there indeed Phil........

I was watching the race live yesterday when it happened, and I was shocked to hear he had passed away, and I echo your thoughts 100%........

Roy......

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the pleasure of working with him at Palmersport. he taught me a lot, in his typically Danish style he would say "do zish und zish un zish und you weel not be zo shlow" then he'd smile. He was that rarest of things in motorsport, a talented guy without the slightest hint of an ego. Here's a curious little Simonson fact - he learned English, (as did Henric) by watching American films with Danish subtitles.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Happy Memories there indeed Phil, I think you should remember your friend with those in mind........

Roy.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts