Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day has come where i kiss my Alfa goodbye

It would not start this monring. and the Key code light is now constantly showing.
I have no master key or card to reset it

The Alfa dealers say a new ECU will do it, but that will cost £1000+

So tonight i will light a torch and cremate it in a lonely field. and let it rest..

I have protected NCB so my wallet will not weap no more, as i am still paying for the car.. and are pennyless.

Unless anyone here knows of anotherway to make it start.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
That sucks. But what has caused this ???
I did read of some crowd that can get round the alfa cose system, but unfortunatly I canmot remember where.
You could try seaching the web.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THe drivers side of the car has had a leak for ages, and the sound proofing is starting to stink where it is wet. so....
I stripped the carpet out an sprayed the engine and door strips to see where the water is getting in.
I could not find where it was getting in so i put it back together- minus the soundproofing.

I then started the car to move it back and it started fine.

I get in the car this monring and it keeps turning over, but wont start.
Then the Code light turns on... and will not go away.

I have spoken to 2 Alfa dealers and they both said 99% sure that a new ECU will cure it.

Problem number 1 i am skint

Problem number 2 i would have to take it to a Alfa dealer.... 40 miles to a decent one

Hehe i work 30 miles away, and i now have to either work or ride my mountin bike there.... next time you guys see me i am going to be very fit

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have disconnected the battery i will leave for 30 mins and reconnect it. hopefully thatr will reset it.

Finders crossed

A

·
0 Posts
Gary is selling an ECU & a masterkey on the "for sell" forum, maybe he can help you out.

Good luck

M

·
0 Posts
Hi extreme I can see it is going to take something pretty special to get you out of such a melancholic state but Toad is right there is definetly away around that silly master key system I just can't remember it either, perhaps Numan will I think he's on the chat thing tonight might be worth a mention, sign in to the last chance saloon I think it's from 19.30!

Cheers MAK

164 Super

100% FREE OF BMW PARTS

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have managed to find a garage who thinks he might be able to reset the ECU to a Virgin. and recode a new set of keys onto it.

So i am getting it towed there tomorrow and let him take a looks....

fingers crossed...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hows that for a bit of luck.

They reset the ECU to Factury default and turned the key and it started

It took a few miles for the ECU to re-learn how to idle properly. but now it is working perfectly.

Even the ABS system is working now, which has not worked since i bought the car...
So the ECU must have a problem for a long time

ME is happy again

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
how did they reset the ecu?

does this mean they can add any key to the system then???

interesting and helpfull for the people with the same problem.

j

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
£90 for them to reset the ECU
I got it done at D H Autos in Luton

I dont think is too bad, when u consider how much they must have paid for the kit to do it

I swear the car drives better, they said that there was a RPM speed sensor that was giving a alarm also, but once they reset it. it cleared..

B

·
0 Posts
mn, thats a stroke of luck, but wow, what great news about the dead cheap reset, i was already to break out the black armbands....every cloud has a silver lining...all stand and praise the gods that protect the alfa owners......

N

·
0 Posts
Glad to hear about your 146, I am surprised that you were told you needed a new set of ecu's over the phone. We would always want to look first before condemning anything. Now for the interesting part, if you have a fault on the code system, disconnect the ecu's, not the battery. By disconnecting the ecu's you power down the systems and allow them to reset to base factory settings. If you disconnect the battery there is always some voltage able to feed ecus from capacitors in other systems, and you may loose your radio code. Now after say twenty minutes reconnect the ecu's and switch on the ignition, 9 times out of ten this will work if not,dont forget the obvious, the code system is fused!!!! and must have an earth and ignition feeds and a link to the efi ecu.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers numan.. I will have to try that if it goes wrong again.

I am not sure which box is the ECU on my car.
Just right of the steering wheel there is a black box and a yellow box. i dont think it is either of these. i thought ECU's were housed in metal to cut down on interferance?

If it's not one of these, Do you know where abouts the ECU is housed in my car ?

As for the dealers, one did say that they would need to look, but he guessed that "worst case" it would need all the ecu's changing.

N

·
0 Posts
on a 146 the code ecu is the yellow plastic box 2"x2"x3/4" situated to the right of the steering column, it usually has a green sticker on it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts