Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My newly purchased QV (1200km) had engine light and misfire issue last week. My dealer confirmed was due to water ingress ECU (I must have over washed my car) and replaced ECU under warranty. Car drives perfect now.

Unfortunately Aus dealer haven’t received any recall notice on scuttle from Italy, instead they stock ECU as spare part.

I’ve seen the updated scuttle design and personally I’m don’t think it is ideal that water is still being discharged in that ECU wiring area. I think AHM has an improved version.

Here is my solution and spent about $20 in material from local hardware store.

Material list:

- door trim plug x 1
- 13 mm clear hose and joiner
- polyurethane
- round rubber washer x 4 ( outer diameter 33mm inner hole 11mm) - In black would be ideal.

Step:

- remove wiper arms, scuttle plate and engine cover

- enlarge the exisiting square drain hole with 7mm drill bit. (I drilled both holes but later found out the lower one didn’t have enough clearance to attach the hose )

- cut end of the door trim plug and seal it with polyurethane onto scuttle and seal the lower drain hole.

- superglue the clear hose from bottom to door trim plug outlet.

- feed the hose around the left hand down to the suspension. Check gravity to ensure water discharge. I used a joiner so can easily unplug if need to remove scuttle in future.

- insert rubber washer onto wiper spindles. One below and one on top of the scuttle.
Apply polyurethane in between so that it is sealed. I did both spindles.

- replace all parts and water test to check any leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
You've done a great job with that.

But if Alfa can't be bothered to take it seriously then why should we fix it for them? And I bet they'll say that's a mod and then avoid the warranty. Call me a cynic, but they'll duck and dive at every opportunity to avoid a warranty payout.

I also see some paying AHM to do the same, again same question as above. If we keep modding it or fixing it ourselves then Alfa will never do anything about it.

Seriously though, I'd hate to be a QF owner out of warranty.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My newly purchased QV (1200km) had engine light and misfire issue last week. My dealer confirmed was due to water ingress ECU (I must have over washed my car) and replaced ECU under warranty. Car drives perfect now.

Unfortunately Aus dealer haven’t received any recall notice on scuttle from Italy, instead they stock ECU as spare part.

I’ve seen the updated scuttle design and personally I’m don’t think it is ideal that water is still being discharged in that ECU wiring area. I think AHM has an improved version.

Here is my solution and spent about $20 in material from local hardware store.

Material list:

- door trim plug x 1
- 13 mm clear hose and joiner
- polyurethane
- round rubber washer x 4 ( outer diameter 33mm inner hole 11mm) - In black would be ideal.

Step:

- remove wiper arms, scuttle plate and engine cover

- enlarge the exisiting square drain hole with 7mm drill bit. (I drilled both holes but later found out the lower one didn’t have enough clearance to attach the hose )

- cut end of the door trim plug and seal it with polyurethane onto scuttle and seal the lower drain hole.

- superglue the clear hose from bottom to door trim plug outlet.

- feed the hose around the left hand down to the suspension. Check gravity to ensure water discharge. I used a joiner so can easily unplug if need to remove scuttle in future.

- insert rubber washer onto wiper spindles. One below and one on top of the scuttle.
Apply polyurethane in between so that it is sealed. I did both spindles.

- replace all parts and water test to check any leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you look back several pages I suggested pretty much exactly that as a fix over a year ago. :glasses:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulia/1083906-qv-water-ingress-in-the-ecu-13.html#post16302754

Reactions: Spider95

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You've done a great job with that.

But if Alfa can't be bothered to take it seriously then why should we fix it for them? And I bet they'll say that's a mod and then avoid the warranty. Call me a cynic, but they'll duck and dive at every opportunity to avoid a warranty payout.

I also see some paying AHM to do the same, again same question as above. If we keep modding it or fixing it ourselves then Alfa will never do anything about it.

Seriously though, I'd hate to be a QF owner out of warranty.

Completely agree. Your last sentence I think is very important, not only to existing owners but those wanting to buy in after the three years warranty has ended. Replacing the ECU and wiring harness will be very expensive - who will take that on?

In the meantime the replacement scuttle panel is not solving the problem. The whole situation is utterly crazy, no other way to describe it!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Completely agree. Your last sentence I think is very important, not only to existing owners but those wanting to buy in after the three years warranty has ended. Replacing the ECU and wiring harness will be very expensive - who will take that on?

In the meantime the replacement scuttle panel is not solving the problem. The whole situation is utterly crazy, no other way to describe it!

I bought an FCA 4th. & 5th. year warranty at the time of purchase which I hope gives me some peace of mind if I keep it that long.... or will add some value were I to sell it sooner... it is transferable.

I suspect that all aspects of the engine and trans. will be very costly to fix should they go wrong.

Don.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Forgive me if this is very obvious but is the water ingress problem limited to RHD models or all have the problem?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Forgive me if this is very obvious but is the water ingress problem limited to RHD models or all have the problem?
RHD only and perhaps only the Quadrifoglio.

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts